Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2000, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

should i put a mulching blade on the top or should the high lift blade go on top or should i use two of the same blades
Old 06-28-2000, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

put mulching on top. Gator or mulch on bottom will do most of cutting, making it into almost shredded puree & come out in clumps of mush.<br>High lift on bottom will allow mulcher to cut it at least once or twice, & come out in 3/4 to 1 1/4&quot; pieces, 1.5&quot; max. Much better finish.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 06-28-2000, 07:31 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

tbird: Try different ways. I've been experimenting for 12 years and tried about every combination there is. Yesterday I had on blades on that have a raised area 3 3/8&quot; wide to put another blade cross ways in that area so all 4 tips are cutting at the same time. It worked good, but not any better than just plain old putting two regular blades on the same bolt, one on top of the other. I've tried 2 gators, 2 high lifts, one of each. How I use them 90% of the time is a high lift on top and a gator on the bottom. I had one mower that the only combination that worked for it was a high lift on top and a regular blade on the bottom. I wrote an article on Clippings and double blades on page 7 on my website. Feel free to check it out. Just try different combinations and see what works best for you on your mowers.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-28-2000, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric...I'm sure this had been asked before, but I assume you've never had a problem with spindle wear due to the increased weight by using two blades? Anyone else have a problem with spindles by doing this? Still a little wary to try on my Scag. Any comments appreciated.
Old 06-28-2000, 07:57 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've been using this for the past 12 years as I mentioned before. I've put over 8,000 hours on Choppers in the past 6 years and I just replaced 1 spindle bearing set on one spindle the other day on a Chopper that has had a slightly loose set of bearings since the day I got it. This was changed after running this machine for 2,860 hours. I've also run them on my JD that is 10 years old, but hasn't been used for mowing much in the past 6 years. This was the first spindle bearing I've replaced in the past 15 years.<br>Eric<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence