Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old equipment worth fixing?

So I finally picked up some old equipment that was just sitting around, but it's been sitting around for a long time and most of it probably isn't worth very much. I need to decide if it's worth paying somebody to fix or if I should try to fix it myself. Here's what I have:

1. Echo GTR-200 trimmer. This thing only costs me $60 at the time I purchased it. I don't like curved shaft trimmers, but I could use a backup. At the last time I ran it everything was fine, but I doubt that it will start now. It's missing the handle, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's probably not worth paying to fix.

2. Echo Blower. I can get model number next time I mow, but it's an old Echo handheld blower. When I last used it there was an issue with it running at full power; it's been a long time, but I think the choke has to be on for it to run at all. This is one is questionable if it would be worth paying somebody, but maybe I could try to fix it.

3. John Deere 14 ST. I didn't even pick up this mower yet, since I'm already using space in my storage for all the other stuff that's not running. This one doesn't start and I noticed the self propel cable was not attached. To make things worse, one of the kids apparently took the fuel and oil caps off, so now stuff has been getting inside the engine. I might want to just junk this mower, but I did like it. I like the Kawasaki engine (if it ever runs again lol) and the handle is comfortable.

4. Toro GTS (I'm guessing it's model number 20107 because it looks exactly like the mower in the link below) with Suzuki.

http://www.newhavenpower.com/toro20107recycler.html

I bought this thing off CL and it's been one of my favorite mowers, but it hasn't had a whole lot of use. The engine is loud, but it used to mow almost as fast as I could walk, and it has a blade clutch. I seem to remember some issues with the blade slipping; but then it stopped starting. I'm guessing this one is worth paying for repairs, because it's probably hard to find another one. It really doesn't look bad for how old it is.

5. Echo Chainsaw (I can check model but I believe it's a CS-300; I'm sure it has 300 in the model). This and the Toro are probably the 2 most promising things. I bought this new a long time ago, but it hasn't really had a lot of use, considering how long I've had it. The rubber from the primer bulb is gone, but other than that it had no issues last time it was in use.

What do you think? I know there's nothing that great there, but I could use backups, and I don't have another self-propelled mower or chainsaw. I don't have much experience with repairs, but I have cleaned out at least one mower carb, and it was easier than I thought. I'm sure the little carbs on the 2 cycles are more difficult though.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

with the blower try removing the exhaust and make sure the outlet isn't carboned up also check the exhaust or spark arrestor aren't filled with carbon
Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
with the blower try removing the exhaust and make sure the outlet isn't carboned up also check the exhaust or spark arrestor aren't filled with carbon
I can try that; I doubt it's going to start right now though. I'm going to look up how to clean the carbs.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found this video of cleaning the carb on an Echo trimmer. I think I should try to clean all of them first and then see if they will run and I can go from there.

http://youtu.be/MrvbgvKZX0g

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

I believe your throwing good money and time after bad results. Purchase good quality equipment in the first place. Take care of it and when it is worn out, scrap it and start over with new equipment.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Echo chainsaw should be worth fixing. They aren't very powerful, but are very relaible. You can buy the parts and find videos on how to do lots of repairs on the ereplacementparts website. You should start making a habit of draining the fuel and running the equipment until the carb is dry on any equipment you don't use regularly - that will avoid many starting problems when you go to use it again. Leaving old fuel containing ethanol to sit is almost guarenteed to cause problems.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Echo GTR-200 trimmer: not worth fixing

2. Echo handheld blower: not worth fixing

3. John Deere 14 ST: very good 21" for the day, specially if it has the 5-speed transmission. I used a 14 SE (I believe) some time ago and really liked it's bagging capability. It came from the time Deere actually made equipment rather than putting their name on rebadged junk. The Kawasaki FC150V engine on it was sweet too, very reliable engine unlike the FJ lemon we get today.

4. Toro GTS: I'm not sure if this is the same Heavy duty Toro I had until a few years ago but I wasn't all that thrilled about that mower. Mulched OK but didn't bag well and the transmission gave constant issues. Never liked the stupid combo bail on it but what can you do. Never used it but I've heard the 2-stroke Suzuki was well liked by commercial users and some are probably willing to beat you up to get it.

5. Echo CS-300: if this is a top-handle saw I would repair it and sell it (if you can). These should be only used by arborists and not on the ground.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I believe your throwing good money and time after bad results. Purchase good quality equipment in the first place. Take care of it and when it is worn out, scrap it and start over with new equipment.
easy-lift guy
I couldn't agree more. I have always bought my handhelds new or slightly used from a homeowner. Just last year I was fortunate enough to start buying my mowers new. New equipment does still break. It sure is allot less and its really really nice to take it to a dealer and say, "you fix it". Once I found a good dealer to service my needs, I have really been able to focus allot more on my customers.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind