Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I'm saying....

Opiates is a whole different ballgame brothers...

And indeed it is opiates because the op mentioned something about pills...
Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
You have to weigh pro's and cons here. Not sure about your state but in Wisconsin you can't get unemployment if you're terminated for a failed drug test. With that you could test him, hope he fails and get rid of him. Or you could use the tardiness and poor performance and fire him without a drug test and pay the unemployment. If he passes a drug test and you choose to fire him after you will be treading on marginally thin ice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a short season but performance reviews are great for monitoring employee progress. Anytime something goes wrong write them up. 3x pink slips and you are out. Not necessary to fire them but can. As long as there is a clear record of whats expected and a breech of these expectations overtime everyone can be terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I'd can him immediately. I have no problem with recreational marijuana use so long as it doesn't affect job performance, however if he is using hard drugs like pills and heroin, etc... That can be dangerous. Plus he's not showing up on time. It's time for him to move on. Something really bad could come about from keeping someone like this around.
Posted via Mobile Device
What's everyones stance on recreational drug use such as marijuana? Especially now that its legal in some states.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_crab80 View Post
What's everyones stance on recreational drug use such as marijuana? Especially now that its legal in some states.
You know, I was thinking about this the other day.

I'm not against recreational marijuana, but it has no place in my company. If it were legal in my state, I would not hire anyone who did it. I was even thinking about possibly going smoke free.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
You know, I was thinking about this the other day.

I'm not against recreational marijuana, but it has no place in my company. If it were legal in my state, I would not hire anyone who did it. I was even thinking about possibly going smoke free.
Ive been pondering the same thing. I had a great guy last year, he busted ass all season and I gave him a huge bonus at the end of the year because I was so impressed with his ethic and skill development. Well now I know for a fact that he is a frequent marijuana user, so I have mixed feelings on hiring him again....

How exactly does mj affect performance, and especially driving? Im looking online right now and can't find a whole lot of info.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Exmark Vantage
Exmark Turf Tracer
Stihl Handhelds
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_crab80 View Post
Its a short season but performance reviews are great for monitoring employee progress. Anytime something goes wrong write them up. 3x pink slips and you are out. Not necessary to fire them but can. As long as there is a clear record of whats expected and a breech of these expectations overtime everyone can be terminated.

If they're high on the job, nix them. If not, why create a problem where it doesn't exist, provided they're good employees? IMHO the only real complication is proving someone is stoned on the job. For some it's easy to hide and obviously they'll fail a UA even if they would never think of being high at work. I could see this being a liability problem in the event of an accident. Anyone have direct experience with this situation?

Last edited by ShredReady; 01-24-2015 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weed After work... I've always been sorta don't ask don't tell, if the only way I can tell that the guy is using is by his piss and not by his performance than I'm good. I hired him to work hard, show up on time, I hired him.... not his piss. But if he is one of those guys who gets high before work and then gets angry at people or short tempered by noon time cause he needs to get high again then I don't need or want him around.