Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Briggs 20 OHV I/C Twin Wiring

Hi,
I'm switching out an engine and need some Wiring help. Briggs 407777 0137E1 010410YG. Off a Murray 461000x71A tractor. There are 2 wire clips coming off the donor engine one clip has both a red and black wire, and the other clip has a gray and black set of wires. Also there is a heavy gauge red wire that goes to the starter. The zero turn tractor I'm putting this engine on has the following 4 wires which I have identified: oil pressure wire, Fuel Solenoid wire, Regulator, and Magneto Kill, and the heavy starter wire. Can someone please help me with this wiring.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pics usually help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm thinking I might need to add a regulator? I think I have an AC power and DC (diode) line coming from the alternator. Or can this be wired without using an engine regulator? Just not sure what to do. Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you have there is a duel circuit un-regulated 2-4 amp stator, The red wire is DC output and the black is 14 volt AC output for lights.

If you have electric PTO on this ZTR, This stator will not keep the battery charged. You need either a 10 amp or 16 amp regulated stator (two black wires in a yellow connector plug), Then add a voltage regulator.

I don't recall if you can replace just the stator without the flywheel, I do recall they did have different size magnets that coincided with the stator.

As for the other plug, The gray wire goes to the fuel cut-off solenoid and the black is the kill wire going to the ignition coils......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the point in the right direction. I called a local briggs dealer to get the parts, but they were not willing to help. They would do the job for $80 an hour though. I have the a regulated stator on the shelf I think it came off a single cylinder brigges 17.5HP with a pto will it work? Can anyone on this site tell me if I actually need the flywheel for sure. Here is a link to my engines parts. If you could please let me know what parts I need to order. Thanks
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=b...1&dn=29870009B
Old 09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the stator you have on the shelf has the two black wires with yellow plug connector, It will work on your twin.

If it doesn't match colors you need ref# 474B in your diagram, For the regulator you need ref# 501A......

I found you don't have to change the flywheel, Use the same one you have.

Mount the regulator on the engine side cover as shown below;

That will be $80 please, I'll PM my Paypal address......
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I think? I need part 474B if the one I have in stock is not the right part, but I know it came of a tractor with a pto, but not sure which regulator will work with it. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Rob I got your last message as I was typing. My stator has 2 black wires and the end looks like a faded yellow it is surely different then the clear looking clips. Thank you very much for your time and effort.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...... You just did the same to me......
Quote:
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I put the Briggs engine on and it starts and runs fine (Thanks Rob!), but 2 major problems: I got an RPM reading of 3180 at top speed, and it is bogging down on hills and high grass. I think the kawi FH500V had a higher RPM for the pumps and blades? Also the muffler is way too low, so I'm wondering if they make one more like the Kawi muffler that is close up under the engine?

The Briggs engine ran fine 2 days ago before I took it off the the riding mower it was on. Thanks any help would be appreciated.