Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another reason my price would be what it is.....You don't know how many rocks you are going to have to remove. Some builders bury stuff I'd hate for you to get on a job and hit the mother load.
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
subtract the cost of the stuff he wants to do himself and theres your final answer

personally i think its way high, how long do you plan on tilling? id figure 2 hours tops, an hour or so to go around and pick up rocks, couple of hours for the rake....its really half a day if your estimated measurement is correct.

even if youre generously slow and meticulous, an 8 hour job by yourself
I hear what you're saying, but if you just are estimating 4-6 hours you're saying $250 there abouts ? No way in hell I'd do it that cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Another reason my price would be what it is.....You don't know how many rocks you are going to have to remove. Some builders bury stuff I'd hate for you to get on a job and hit the mother load.
Yeah, I'm thinking lots of gravel and other crap once the tiller starts turning it over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

id work down from the price you gave him originally, the one he said was too much, how can you make that lower? (this is way more profitable for you) subtract the cost of the ingredients you were going to spread and the cost of that.... i thought $500 was a good pay day for tilling a yard, considering it would take you a day or less to do the job, without having to buy any product. if he thinks 1200 is ok, then you made out very well.

you had an original cost for the job, all inclusive, your client can do math, just take away the cost of the stuff he wants to do, then youre both happy

i didnt say 250 or thereabouts, i originally said 500 lol for a days job

price for the job, not the hourly breakdown

Last edited by Ditta&Sons; 09-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
id work down from the price you gave him originally, the one he said was too much, how can you make that lower? subtract the cost of the ingredients you were going to spread and the cost of that.... i thought $500 was a good pay day for tilling a yard, considering it would take you a day or less to do the job, without having to buy any product. if he thinks 1200 is ok, then you made out like a bandit.

you had an original cost for the job, all inclusive, your client can do math, just take away the cost of the stuff he wants to do, then youre both happy
Ok, thanks for the help!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should charge the same whether you rent a dingo or not. This should help you.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
You should charge the same whether you rent a dingo or not. This should help you.
Ok thanks. The dingo with soil cultivator would be around $400 for the day.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I ended up telling him $800 just to till remove rocks, straw and hand grade. He said that sounded good.

Then comes back with he found his land plat from the builder and it actually says the backyard is 10,000 ft.≤!! He also says how much will it be if I do the seed fertilizer etc. so it's like he was trying to get me to break down my price without really asking directly.

Seeing that I thought it was 6000 ft.≤ from just looking at the pictures I'm glad I said $800 to till and not anything less
Seeing now that it is 10,000 ft.≤ according to his documentation. I don't know why he thinks it's going to be any less than the 1500 to 1800 I ball parked him for the full job initially. in fact I think it will be a little more now considering it's bigger than I thought.

I think at this point I will tell him that I will just till the land for 800 and he can do the rest. Supplies plus labor especially getting all that Pete Moss and hand spreading it that's where it's going to be up over 2000 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ron mexico75; 09-03-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Well I ended up telling him $800 just to till remove rocks, straw and hand grade. He said that sounded good.

Then comes back with he found his land bought from the builder and it actually says the backyard is 10,000 ft.≤!! He also says how much will it be if I do the seed fertilizer etc. so it's like he was trying to get me to write down my price without really asking directly.

Seeing that I thought it was 6000 ft.≤ from just looking at the pictures I'm glad I said $800 to till and not anything less
Seeing is that it is 10,000 ft.≤ according to his documentation. I don't know why he thinks it's going to be any less than the 1500 to 1800 I ball parked him for the full job. in fact I think it will be a little more now considering it's bigger than I thought.

I think at this point I will tell him that I will just till the land for 800 and he can do the rest. Supplies plus labor especially getting all that Pete Moss and hand spreading it that's where it's going to be up over 2000 I think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Get paid in advance ! This sounds troublesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Get paid in advance ! This sounds troublesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I agree with what you just said. This is a guy who I aerated his lawn last year but he moved from a small old home into a brand-new big new construction home. He's also a referral from one of my regular customers so it's not like I don't totally know him. But I still agree with what you said.
Posted via Mobile Device