Register free!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh yeah....then the other angle is there are more than a few vets on lawnsite who think aeration should not be a step in overseeding or worth bothering with.

It is worth it but the facts remain the reciprocating type machines do a vastly better job of seed bed prep than the ridiculous amount of passes required to match the plug count with a mere rolling tine aerator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Oh yeah....then the other angle is there are more than a few vets on lawnsite who think aeration should not be a step in overseeding or worth bothering with.

It is worth it but the facts remain the reciprocating type machines do a vastly better job of seed bed prep than the ridiculous amount of passes required to match the plug count with a mere rolling tine aerator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good call on the reciprocating machines. Major difference in quality and efficiency. That's probably why golf courses and mlb fields use them.

As far as testing, I'm almost positive Iowa State or OSU have conducted field trials on this sort of thing. Maybe I'll go take a peek. My current OSU instructor might have an idea.

I could see where some would suggest skipping aeration in favor of a slit seeder or even just broadcasting seed but most of my lawns need it anyways so it's rather cost effective to do both for me.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the time (in my market), we see outfits:

A) Aerate
1) Making one pass with a walk-behind aerator
2) Then spread grass seed on top of the ground
3) Then leave a bill

B) Use a drill seeder/slit seeder to "insert" seed.
1) Inserting grass seed into the soil is one thing (anybody can do this)
2) Yet drill seeding/slit seeding does absolutely NOTHING regarding
a) Preparing the seed bed
b) Addressing poor soil drainage
c) Relieving compacted soil
Old 09-02-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

as for getting back to mowing after an aerate. think it would be a bad move to bag? was cutting a lawn today that aerated few wks ago, i bag it most of time but been mulching it the last few cuts. anyone think it matters either way? hope i'm not off topic here on asking, wondering what others think, thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Add ons means extra money. If your sitting on your butt doing nothing your not making money. Who said you can't overseed and cut the grass. Spring or fall aerations is good, before your cutting starts and in the fall when it slows down.
and who says to cut short that you dont have to cut for 3 weeks?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare spot View Post
as for getting back to mowing after an aerate. think it would be a bad move to bag? was cutting a lawn today that aerated few wks ago, i bag it most of time but been mulching it the last few cuts. anyone think it matters either way? hope i'm not off topic here on asking, wondering what others think, thanks.
Bagging plugs is a waste of the dirt top dress effect. Sometimes it can't be helped but I try to avoid it. There seems to be much disinformation on what to do with the plugs. I have told people to let them break up and mow over them. Then I see them raking them up 10 min later....

I absolutely dread mowing over one of my aerations since I run Plugr 850's and the new Billy Goat reciprocating tons of plugs WB aerator. Requires a mask or Wolf Snout. I look like a coal miner after just one small lawn doing a break up mow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I leave them on the ground where the rain will break them up.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is such a thing as too many plugs left on the lawn with a late Fall aeration. The most common complaint I get is it takes forever for all those plugs to go away. Because there are so many of them.

A double Fall pass with a high plug count aerator actually can choke out the lawn. As a rule I always say at least 3 mowings post aeration. Standard sparsely spaced plugs from a drum or rolling time unit...? Not much of an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who combo'ed aeration and seed to begin with?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
There is such a thing as too many plugs left on the lawn with a late Fall aeration. The most common complaint I get is it takes forever for all those plugs to go away. Because there are so many of them.

A double Fall pass with a high plug count aerator actually can choke out the lawn. As a rule I always say at least 3 mowings post aeration. Standard sparsely spaced plugs from a drum or rolling time unit...? Not much of an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
wasn't paying to much attention, wanted to get on up the road for another cut before the sun went down but come to think of it the plugs were hardly noticable.