Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

lift assist on a dovetail landscape trailer

I know there are hundreds of threads, but just couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a dove tail trailer and I had the gorilla lift on it. I broke 2 cables in 1 year and took it off. I don't think it was built for a dovetail, but I rigged it up to work.

Anyone have a lift assist on a dovetail? What brands? What about the elegator? Pics?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe the Elogator will work on dove tails, and the Eric Elm gate assist will work too, but it is dangerous. I think it is ericelmslawnsite or something like that, its gives detailed instructions on how to build it. I have had it on all my trailers and a couple of friends also use it, and it works great! My eric elm gate assist cost me $35. in materials to make.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on my name. I have some pics on here of mine. They're probably sometime in '06. Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

spring for gate

i use to work for a trailer mfg. and Ive help build & give easy ideas for the guys looking for that assistance on their gates. The gorilla lift is basically a fancy garage door spring with a Lexus price. The way our trailers were being built we technically did the same concept for about $20. But the safest & long life setup for a heavy gate is another form of spring assist. Most companies install a heavy duty spring on the gooseneck ramps to assist with those massive ramps. All your doing is installing one on a landscape trailer ramp. Simply fix and dont have any worries about tripping over a cable or getting whipped by it WHEN it finally snaps. The HD spring is basically a coiled up 5/16" thick spring welded to trailer and assist gate up and down with little effort.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Hows does the gorrilla not work on the dovetail whats different..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a double barrel made by rack em mfg. Works great.
I paid 150. For it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok1359 View Post
i use to work for a trailer mfg. and Ive help build & give easy ideas for the guys looking for that assistance on their gates. The gorilla lift is basically a fancy garage door spring with a Lexus price. The way our trailers were being built we technically did the same concept for about $20. But the safest & long life setup for a heavy gate is another form of spring assist. Most companies install a heavy duty spring on the gooseneck ramps to assist with those massive ramps. All your doing is installing one on a landscape trailer ramp. Simply fix and dont have any worries about tripping over a cable or getting whipped by it WHEN it finally snaps. The HD spring is basically a coiled up 5/16" thick spring welded to trailer and assist gate up and down with little effort.
What he said.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok1359 View Post
This couldn't be more true. I get springs for $12 at a local garage door place.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On our Isuzu NPR, we use a elegator gate assist along with the two factory torsion springs built into the gate. Works great.