Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very very rare to find round trailer tires with all this china stuff. Almost all have a slight hop to them. Even car tires these days. Quite sad actually.

I'm just saying a balanced tire won't change the fact of cheap trailer tires aren't perfectly round. A balance is just evening the tire out. Sure it may help somewhat with harmonics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Very very rare to find round trailer tires with all this china stuff. Almost all have a slight hop to them. Even car tires these days. Quite sad actually.

I'm just saying a balanced tire won't change the fact of cheap trailer tires aren't perfectly round. A balance is just evening the tire out. Sure it may help somewhat with harmonics
Have a look at Maxxis trailer tires. They're made in Thailand. Of all the scouring of the interwebs I've done, they have the best reputation of any other offerings. I'm running the 225/75-15 10-ply and they look like new, after a year of use so far. The tire shop has been very impressed with their stuff.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Have a look at Maxxis trailer tires. They're made in Thailand. Of all the scouring of the interwebs I've done, they have the best reputation of any other offerings. I'm running the 225/75-15 10-ply and they look like new, after a year of use so far. The tire shop has been very impressed with their stuff.
What was cost and where did you get them? How many mowers do you have on trailer.....4 wheel?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
What was cost and where did you get them? How many mowers do you have on trailer.....4 wheel?
My independent, auto repair shop sells tires. He gets them through a distributor (Keystone Automotive) who is only ~30mi away. They deliver everyday, or I can go get them, so it's a nice convenience should I ever have a blowout. I gave $113.50+tax, each (just pulled the receipt), mounted and balanced.

I normally run my 30" and 60", which scaled 3720lbs, on the trailer axle. However, it's, also, setup to put my 42" ZTR in with them. I've not scaled it, like that. I've had the whole floor covered in landscape edgers, but, don't remember the exact weight of the pallet and a half of those. It seems like the guy said 3300lbs. Anyway, I have it loaded really heavy, pulling down the highway, and haven't had any tire issues. The ability of 80psi tire pressure has a lot to do with that.

Doubled up with a 21" up the side.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 09-06-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I can attest to the lack of quality control standards pretty much across the board with tires. I can also say I have seen some big wheel weights on trailer tires!

Considering I always get tires mounted at a tire shop even for my trailers, balancing isn't a huge additional expense and I can't see it doing anything but helping. IMO, the seat of my pants feel is that the trailer is considerably smoother when towing unloaded than before. Nothing scientific about that though...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been happier with Maxxis than other trailer tires for sure. But I bring this thread back up because Discount Tire Direct on Ebay has Maxxis trailer tires. And right now they have $100 off when you spend $400 on tires. Again, this is only on DTD on Ebay, not their site.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've been happier with Maxxis than other trailer tires for sure. But I bring this thread back up because Discount Tire Direct on Ebay has Maxxis trailer tires. And right now they have $100 off when you spend $400 on tires. Again, this is only on DTD on Ebay, not their site.
That would be a killer dealer, except I paid less, taxed/mounted/balanced, than what they're advertising ($113.50 retail and $131.45 OTD). After you buy their tires, you'll have to pay mounting and balance. I'm not sure you're actually saving much, if anything. Plus, their eBay store is actually $4 higher per tire than their site.

Also, I don't like buying tires like that and, then, taking them into someone's shop and wanting them to do the labor. To me, it's a slap in the face of the local business owner.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Sponsor

Our recommendations
1) select trailer tires with max capacity 10-20% higher than your trailer GTW
2) Always run at maximum inflation; our suppliers suggest that balancing is not necessary
3) radial tires have a longer tread life and run smoother and cooler
4) select tires with good reputations: we recommend Goodyear Marathons or Loadstar
5) with 1 or 2 exceptions, trailer tires are manufactured overseas

Eastern Marine/Trailer Parts Superstore
1-800-453-7379
http://www.easternmarine.com/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eas...e/115900552174