Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2003, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Member

designers, browsers, ect...

Hey, um, check this out... :alien:

I was wondering for those of you that get websites made for you by companies or whatever. How much do you pay and how often? Do you make monthly payments? Yearly payments, or do you have a initial payment then pay for updates? I know when you have a domain name you pay for that monthly or yearly or whatever, but I mean for the actual construction and design of your site.

Oh, and do you know how the sites are made, what they use? If you make your own site how do you do it? I have been using HTML coding since mid 2001. I'm trying to figure out how to use CSS properly though.

+ what type of browser do you use. I've been finding out that this is important in making websites when using certain codes because different browser's don't recognize some codes. I have netscape and internet explorer, I'd have AOL if I didn't have to use the AOL service too. Or can you just get the AOL browser?

I want to know all this stuff because I make websites for a few people and want them to be happy with their site.

And those of you that do have domain names, where are you hosted and how much do you pay?

Thanx ^-^

Old 10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

internet

Hi Princess,

Gosh, you ask some great questions. I will try an give you my opinion on a few of them.

As far as web browsers go, I think Internet Explorer has pulled ahead to the point of total dominance. I would guess IE has 95% of the market with netscape at 4% and opera at 1% or less. You are right, IE is much more foregiving. An error displayed in Internet exporer will often show just the way you wanted, a coding error for someone using netscape can cause the whole page to not display.

I don't think too many people are hand coding sites these days. I think many people use several programs. Dreamweaver seems to be one of the most popular. FrontPage is very poplular and is often used when the customer will be updating his own site after creation. The others such as golive ect are not as widely used. It is still very valuable to know how to hand code HTML, particualarly with FrontPage which tends to throw in some code that shouldn't be there (Supposidly FP 2003 will correct this)

CSS is pretty neat. I could find some good tutorials on it if you were intersted.

Hosting. Well, I have 3 sites with Reliant, one with Valueweb, another with SpunkyWorld, some with PowWeb and few more here and there and quite a few with GoDaddy who I tend to go more to GoDaddy nowadays. I also like GoDaddy for domain registrations.
I probably like PowWeb and GoDaddy the best. They seem to have good service and are inexpensive (cheap in plain english)
Old 11-02-2003, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanx a ton

I have a bunch of CSS/HTML help sites and things like that but if you'd like to throw some more my way, please, feel free.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

css

Hi Princess,

Check out www.frontpagewebmaster.com. They have a discussion forum on CSS and some links to good tutorials. I think you will like that site.