Register free!

Old 10-15-2000, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MOW ED

The hose end sprayer is a Gilmour # 362-D. I found it, if I remember right, at thier web site, try http://www.gilmour.com I ordered it thru my local Ace Hardware. I have seen it also at Amazon.com in the lawn and garden tools section. It only cost about $16.00. In a world where professional or commercial use usually means expensive, I know this makes it sound so much more like non-professional type equipment.

It's metering is designed to work at 40-60 psi. The meter comes with a needle for teaspoons and one for tablespoons. It will meter/mix up to 10 of either. Most mixtures I use are in the 1-3 oz ranges(2-6 tablespoons per gallon of water). The bottle only holds about 20 ounces.

So, before everyone goes crazy about filling several carrier bottles and the time involved, etc.. I sprayed a 3 acre property entirely - filled the jug 5 times. Yes, this can be a time consuming issue, but I do not spray enough for this to be any major problem. After one spray, the 3 acres are now under control to where I only spot spray, never using more than a few gallons of total mixture, a few ounces of pesticide. Most of my maintenance properties are less than 15,000 sq ft and are the same, I do not spray weed free grass just as a precaution. I know this may not work for many of you big sprayers, but it works great for me. I thought about finding a bigger bottle for bigger jobs, But so few a times that I would need it that I have not stressed about it.

I did go big on the sprayer end. I purchased a 200 gallon skid sprayer from Westheffer. 300 foot high grade hose and rewind reel, 5.5 Honda, 9.5 gpm, 550 psi pump. I slide it up into a 1 ton dump truck and dump it out when I am done. I could have gotten cheaper one, but this one is well made. They do make a 12 volt setup for about have as much which could have worked for me just fine, but I wanted the bigger model just incase I needed it later down the road.

I have sprayed Dormant Oil, Hort Oil, Strike Three, Trimec, Trimec plus, Roundup, Volk Oil, Weed-B-Gon, Ornimec, Malathion, and Sevin. Any chemical heavier or thicker than water needs to be prediluted, information with the Gilmour sprayer tells how. I have sprayed Dormant Oil, Strike Three, and Sevin at one property, all in one visit with one sprayer, plus granular fert that visit as well. Just thought, I also watered some shrubs and flowers another visit later in the year, Do that with a tank mix.

Filling the bottle onsite and the occassional dilution is of course a draw back if you were doing alot of spraying. But for what little I do it works great and the time is worth it knowing that I wasted no chemicals and I am being safe for my nieghbors childern and my own by only running water in my tank 100%.

For the small spraying company like myself, the versitility is what is nice. I plan on adding some PGR's next year and I some fertilizer while watering a few patches of flowers and goundcover.

Hope this book helped.

Old 10-15-2000, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most state regulations prohibit storing and mixing commercial pesticides at a residential site.

Most pesticide labels prohibit application thru a hose-end sprayer.
Old 10-15-2000, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, that's a new one on me. I can not see anything in our state chemist office laws regaurding any such animal. As a licensed applicator as long as you use the proper PPE and procedures by the label what makes the difference where you load. - Besides, we are talking about ounces, not gallons like a huge commercial rig. I do the loading in the back of a dump truck, so incase of a slight spill, it is in the truck bed not the ground.

The bylaws do state about drawing water from streams, lakes, etc... and not loading where a spill could runoff and contaiminate the same lake, stream, etc.. In other words drive up a ways.

Every label must of course be read and understood, But, I have not seen one yet prohibiting use of a hose end sprayer!Unless it is something like a highly retricted use product likes sterilent that prohibits any sort of pressure applied application, including a back back. If so I have NO PLANS of using such chemicials. My long term safety is worth more than a buck.

If anyone knows something else, please acknowledge!

Just thought, How do you load a granular pesticide being applied to a residence, go back to the shop to load each bag?

[Edited by skookum on 10-15-2000 at 10:37 PM]
Old 10-15-2000, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lazer wasn't refering to the handling of the pesticides, but the storage of the pesticide at your residence. I'm in NJ and as long as you store following all of the rules, it is OK to store at a residence, & Ive been inspected & passed. Only one of the labels that I have says you can't use the hose spray option. So until I get a shop some time in the future, you have me considering this option also. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 10-16-2000, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OH, the storage and mixing issue at my residence. Well this is exactly why I chose to do this type setup for spraying. No tank mixing or equipment cleaning on my property.

I did look into this working from my home issue before getting my first license because I live two miles from the only office that governs and inspects for my state. I have dealt with the office when getting my licenses on several occassions on several issues. They know who I am and where I am. Not too many other applicators with the same zip code, phone number prefix, etc..

I should be legal by all the codes in the state book. But, thanks for pointing that issue out. I am going to look into the book again and double check myself since we have a new book this last year. Always better safe than sorry, those fines can be heafty!