Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2000, 10:05 PM
Banned

Just bought a JD JX75 and the Kawasaki engine runs fine but when I cut tall grass (8&quot;+) the engine slows down about 15-20% until it cuts it and then goes back to full throttle. This is a brand new machine and I'm using gas that's only 2 weeks old and that I've been using w/o problem in other machines. The grass is dry and isn't really dense. Seems to me that a 6hp engine shouldn't do this.<p>Has anyone else noticed this?<p>Thanks,<br>Eric<br>
Old 06-24-2000, 10:34 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Ukon92: This is not normal. I have a 14SE JD, which I think is the model that was replaced by the one you now have. Anyway, mine has a 5 speed trans. and will mulch 6&quot; grass in 3rd gear without problems, cutting at 3.5&quot; It just keeps on cutting. Try sharpening the blade, because a new mower does not come with sharp blades. There is so much paint on it, it's won't cut worth a darn. The first thing I do when I get new mowers or blades, is sharpen the blades. I guess they don't want guys cutting themselves so they will get sued.<br>BTW, I see your a new member, welcome aboard.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-25-2000, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Call DEERE. THay stand behind their products %200
Old 06-25-2000, 10:33 AM
gil692

what is the best way to sharpen blades? and know they are balanced?<p>----------<br>gil692<br>
Old 06-25-2000, 05:16 PM
Banned

Thank guys. I took it out today and it's so weird. I went and cut grass that was 1 ft. high and it went through it like a champ, but then later it did that sputtering thing again. I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow. I hope I can get it to do it there.
Old 06-25-2000, 05:26 PM

Gil, scroll up to the top of this page and look for a line of blue words. In the middle is SEARCH, click on that and then type in SHARPEN on the word to search for, you will find 59 posts on sharpening blades. For all of you new guys, there are thousands of posts here on good advice on different subjects. Please try the search option on different subjects. If you have a question, more than likely it has been answered a few times before. If you still can't find your answer, feel free to post a question.<p>I have tried to make a website that is useful to Lawnsite Members. There are tips on lawn striping, using double blades, maintenance tips for DC owners, OCDC page and a few pictures, even antique lawn mowers. Feel free to check it out by clicking on my signiture.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-25-2000, 05:30 PM

Ukon, it sounds like it could have some water in the gas. Try putting some heat in it to obsorb the water or just dumping it out and putting in fresh. Water can cause this problem.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-25-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Check to see that your plug is not fouled and has proper gap. I have seen many engines come out of the factory with the wrong gap on the plug which in turn tends to make them foul. hope this helps.<p>----------<br>thats my 2 cents, <br>mike
Old 06-26-2000, 11:00 AM
Banned

Thanks again for the posts guys...<p>Went and saw my dealer first thing. I must say that I did get good Deere service. The salesman grabbed one of their techs to take a look at it and the owner stopped by to see what was wrong. He told the tech to swap any parts from a new mower to get me out today if at all possible. Gotta appreciate that.<p>The tech noticed that the engine didn't sound quite right. He took the carb apart and cleaned out some parts. He said something may have been lodged or dirty in there.<p>After he was done, I told him I wanted to test it right there, so I took it out on the dealers lawn (setting the mow height low to create more load).<p>It did the slight sputtering (the tech guy called it skipping) again, but not as much. The tech said that that was the governor opening up and letting in more fuel because of the increased engine load. He said it's normal and has heard other Kawasaki's do the same. He said the Kawasakis sound a bit weird like that for about 1/2 a second when getting more fuel.<p>Anyone else concurr??<p>Again, he said it was perfectly normal.<p>I did ask him about the plug gap and he said usually if it's set wrong, the Kawasakis won't start well. Mine has always started easy on the first pull.<p>Well, I feel a little better about it. I haven't owned a Kawi engine before, I guess it just takes some getting used to the sound.<p>-Eric
Old 06-26-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

eric<br>I own 4 jd mowers and i must say i get great service from them to<br>dont be afraid to tell them you want a different machine new one dont want to be at the shop[ all the time and remember motor power is better than person power get the biggest motors you can put on any furture purchase on mowers and good luck