Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2000, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Huh?

I don't recall bragging about anything-just stating facts about two different cutting decks used for two different types of area. Since I have no information on who the OEM for either Deere or Woods equipment is, I can't address your statement about who manufactures what, however I can tell you that the two decks differ significantly in design, performance, operation and results no matter who makes the shell. The most relevant difference is that the Woods is supported at all 4 corners by articulated caster wheels which float, with the result that I've never had it scalp. The Woods also has a full-width of the deck rear sloping baffle which disperses the clippings. It appears to me that the JD76 just has too much unsupported area hanging in front of the mower and was not able to properly disperse the clippings the width of the deck; instead it windrowed them the entire length of the cut which would be fine if I could fit the 14' chopper in that area to pick them up for silage! BTW, the latest JD Purchasing guide [I picked it up at the dealer last week] on pages 60-61 lists the LC Kawasaki at 20HP in the F725 and the Yanmar diesel at 20.5HP in the F735.
Old 10-15-2000, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The JD76 along w/ most rear-discharge decks are bad for windrowing. You are corrrect that the JD does have alot of unsupported area in the front. Only the shell is that same. Everything else is different. I like the way Woods puts those pivoting casters on each corner. Good thinking. I also stand corrected on the 2 hp. Sorry about that. Double check myself next time.
Old 10-15-2000, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JD in general

I like JD in general, but I always want to make sure I'm getting the best piece of equipment each time I make a purchase. NCmow, you seem to know about JD so as long as we're at this topic I'd like to pick your brain. Have you seen or used the F680 or the M-series? I have a very good JD dealer 13 miles away and an excellent one 50 miles away, but they both love the Fseries and haven't even seen the M yet. Have you? If so....??? If not, I've got them working on it for me and I'll let you know. So far I've demo'd the F680 on pavement and the Toro z on pavement and seen the cut of it but not cut with it [does that make sense?--their grass was just cut when I got there]. I'm trying to compare the above with the Exmark [same almost as toro] and the Scag [another good dealer 20 miles away]. Seems like the 680 is too slow compared to the other z-turns plus I need HP for my wet conditions. Any thoughts or info is appreciated. Thanks.
Will M.
Old 10-15-2000, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mr. Ziffle,
How many hours are on the F935 right now? What did you pay for it new and what do you think its worth now? Want a fast mower? Get an Exmark. 9 MPH of fury. E-mail me what you think 935 is worth.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-15-2000, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I had alot of JD's over the past 16 yrs. from 210's to 318's to 332's to 725's to 935's to 1145's and this is the first yr. that I tried something else. I must say the JD has nothing to offer me. I tried an Exmark and now I have a 60" lazer Z which I love, and I also have a 72" EFI Lazer Z . I am going to pickup my new 27hp liquid cooled Lazer Z tomorrow at my dealer. I was just tired of paying high prices for a product that isn't the best anymore.
Old 10-15-2000, 09:57 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Reo

Sounds like we have had simular experiances. This was my 16th season and I have had several JD's which includes the 332. You are the first one I've heard of on this forum other than me with one of them. I still have a 430, but I don't use it to mow with anymore. I always thought anything with Green paint on it had to be the best. Boy was I wrong. Look below and you will see it misses a lot of grass.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 10-16-2000 at 02:20 AM]
Old 10-17-2000, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned and used JD tractors and front deck mowers for some time and I now believe that the only good JD is a burning JD. The tractor (1150) was gutless and thirsty.
The front deck (1145) was thirsty as hell and gave a terrible cut.(72" deck). If you want this style of machine,
try Kubota or New Holland.

Karl