Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2000, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Man, just wait till I get a little experience under my belt. Before I got my ZTR mower, my wife did all the mowing. Now I tell her she doesn't know how to mow. She say's, thats funny, I've been doing all the mowing for 25 year's, you've done it 2 months and all of the sudden, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MOW. Then I tell her you can tear up your own lawn but not the ones I maintain. Plus I talk real big when she's not around.

Do the right thing

Old 10-16-2000, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose I am lurker. BUSTED!!! I read far more that I write. I have been a member for a long time and I really have little to contribute when compared to most of the regulars but I learn a great deal from reading. I did have hard time posting at first because when I asked a question that was important to me I was told to" use the search function as this question has many threads already". To a new member the message is" Do not bother us with that question we have already answered that for someone else, yesterday , last week or whatever.

I realize that to the regulars some topics get some serious action while others do not, but to a new guy everything is new and to be be told in the manner that I have experienced it makes the less experienced feel like a great big dummy. Not good. Not friendly.

I have gleaned more knowledge from this forum than from any other source and quite honestly the paranoia from people that you talk to in person make it impossible to learn much of anything. Please do not misunderstand me as I am just offering a point of view that others might not have the gumsion to offer. I am grateful to all of you who are regulars and I am sure that things here would not be worth squat if it weren't for you all. I could not have learned what I have if it wasn't for the site and the great group of professionals that read and write here.

I suppose that when get to be a big LCO like a lot of you I might have more to contribute but until then I will just have to be quiet and learn some more.

Rick
Old 10-16-2000, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rixtag, nice post. I have been with the forum since the Hall of Forums days. I'll bet I've read 90% of the posts here but I'll never grow tired of learning. While I sometimes get tired of new guys asking questions about topics that have been covered over and over I also wish some of the older members would say something other than SEARCH. If they remember the name of the topic then they could give you a keyword to search with. Hope this helps everyone.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to admit im a lurker. Boy I feel better already. Im just starting up in the business. Im currently a carpet cleaner looking for a new challenge. I love to landscape.

Being out doors and enjoying the fresh air.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditto rixtag, I can't add much to that other than scrubs aren't very well liked. That's what I am (scurb). Nice post Rick.

Ricky

In His (lawn) Service
Old 10-16-2000, 11:39 PM
Millenium Member

Rick, good post and I agree, and I would be guilty also. I think a point that should be made is even if you do not have anything to add, words of encouragement or acknowledgment of some type help encourage the more experienced folks to continue giving us information that is vital to our continued growth. Often many good post quickly drop down the forum with a high amount of views with little or no response.

Wonder how often someone reads a post, says to them self "I didn't know that", but they never give recognition to the poster? Often a simple question for one may be a huge enlightenment for another. I know there are many who have questions but do not ask, I'm sure many members have emails that contained questions that should have been asked on the forum but were not. I think what Stone is saying is ask, answer, get involved a little. Heck, it's free and anonymous if you wish.
Old 10-17-2000, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Good thread Larry.I`m like alot of people,just look and don`t respond that much.I`ve been in this business for years and I still learn alot from lawnsite.I especially like the search feature.it helps tremendously.
Like what was said above,encouragement goes along way.Let`s let the new members feel welcome here.
Thanks,Dave
Old 10-17-2000, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try to respond if I think I can help or offer encouragement. Some may consider me a scrub but I will not leave my customers unhappy so I guess that makes me semi professional. I do pay taxes but am not liscensed yet but will not do anything that Im not supposed to such as chemicals. As for this post I have also been refered to the search feature,which is a great feature but can be discouraging if you really want an opinon.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Larry and All-

I agree that people need to get more involved (myself included) but,

We can look at this a few ways:

I don't have a bunch of posts but I consider the majority of stuff that I post somewhat valuable to the individual who made the post and the forum in general. I admit I put some irrelevant info. in at times too. I read and take in a lot also. But am I a lurker.

On the other hand we have people who are "afraid" to post from things that have happened in the past and are afraid of being ridiculed. I can only say to the "GET OUT OF YOUR SHELL, NO ONE IS GOING TO COME AND BEAT YOU DOWN". But we can't force anyone to post.

Then we have people who post 2 words on their own post just to keep it at the top and have a bunch of posts. I just don't think saying "come on guys" or "good point" it that influential to the post or forum, but it does show that they are alive.

Just my opinion

Mike
Greenkeepers
Old 10-17-2000, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I just joined a couple of weeks ago and have found this forum entertaining and informative and have began to post. Besides it apears that the more I post the faster I will be a senior member.