Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

What I learned in my first year...

My last cleanup is done,and my first year as a part-timer is now over. Here's what I learned.

1. Daily visits to lawnsite are a must. Every time I was stumped or had questions, the answers were here.

2. Set up a system for keeping track of time,expenses, and everything else before the season starts and be religous about following it. Once the work starts, you'll be too busy. (I'll be prepared next year.)

3. Work on streamlining your business constantly. I carried way too much stuff early on and had it arranged wrong on my trailer. I saved 5 minutes for every unload by rearranging stuff and always doing it the same way so I knew where everything was.

4. Buy the best stuff you can afford, but only when you really need it.

5. Be creative. I get out of work at 3pm and our dump happens to also close at 3pm. I collected leaves (mulched) in trash cans and made a dump run every saturday. Not ideal, but it worked for me. (The pre mulching reduced the amount a lot...thanks guys for that one)

6. Be a perfectionist. I got more work from people watching me work and I got more extra work than I would have ever thought. Mulching, shrub trimming, tree trimming, planting grass, and other little jobs kept me very busy.

7. Be prepared to get hooked on this business. I looked forward to getting out of my "real" job to go do lawns. I even took a few vacation days to go work outdoors.

8. Don't get discouraged on the down days. I had a few where the weather wasn't cooperating and I got stressed. The sun will shine again.

I would also like to say that I absolutley love my Exmark TTHP. It ran perfect all season and performed excellently. My Echo handhelds all started by the 2nd pull (after I learned the drill) and the Accelerator bagger was worth every penny. The bagger was my star performer.