Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking To Expand

Any help that I could get with this from anyone would be of great help:

I have been cutting grass since I was 15 years old with a push mower. I still have the mower and I am 19 now. I have kept around 10 yards or so every year. I have just recently started into some little landscaping like moving bushes around, mulching, and edging. I would like to stick with this, working with what is already at the site, not starting from scratch.

I would like to increase my customer base to about 20 or 25 yards, depending on the size. I would also like to have maybe 4 or 5 landscaping jobs mixed in with that.

Any suggestions on what the best way to go about doing this would be? I am already planning on passing out flyers within a week or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
GrassInPA
Old 03-08-2003, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

what type of equipment do you have or are you walking your mower to your job sites? Depending on your situation with only a 21" w/b expanding to 20-25 customers and doing landscaping will surely take up all your time. It is also dependant upon you prices, if they are low it would be no problem at all to get the customers, I would look around the area at other companies and stay competitive with them instead of being a "scrub" (underbidder).
Being that you are still 19 and probably living at home, if you really are interested in the field, get some education in Horticulture or landscaping, if possible I would maybe obtain a loan and purchase some equipment as well - but that is all dependant upon your goals.
By the way, I'm 20 and started out very much the same way, welcome to Lawnsite.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Right now I have an Craftsman walk behind that I've gotten good use out of. I have a truck that works fine now. I plan on buying a trailer this spring so I can just put grass in the bed of the truck and haul equipment in the trailer. I really haven't sat down and figured out a price per hour, but when I took my pay and divided it by hours worked, I averaged around 20/hr.

Most of the businesses in my area are older guys that are either retired or looking for some extra cash. I really want to buy a 36" Toro walk-behind, but I can't afford it. I know to make money, you have to spend some, but being in college right now, it's kind of tight. I like doing this and would enjoy keeping it as a part-time job to make extra cash.

I'm going to school for computers now and was considering going back a couple of years after I graduate to get a Landscape Contracting degree from PSU (where I am now).

By the way, what is a good 21" walk-behind for around $500 or so. I really like the ones with the swivel wheels in the front.

Thanks MN Wildwood
Old 03-09-2003, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I know that Toro makes homeowner mowers (6 Hp engine) for around $3-400, I have bought two of them and both have lasted for around three years of hard commercial use, then sold them off to homeowners looking for mowers. I have never use the "swivel wheels" so I can't say. When taking your profit/hour make sure to include gas, repairs, etc.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

right now i do about 20 weekly lawns and 5 or 6 call i cut them with a 21' puss mower wich sucks and take up lots of time for 2004 i am going with a 36'' wright stander wich will run me about $5,500 wich i think will be worth it to make money u have to spend money right. for 2004 i am looking to get more lawns i work for a landscaping bizz that might be closeing up wich have about 50 weekly lawns and 10-15 call. do u think i shod buy it out for like $2,000 just the lawns or is that to much?????. This way i will have 70 weekly lawns and 20 call time to time and i would make that say 8,000 back fast??? let be no if this would be a good move or not because i have flyers out i get like 5 new lawns a year i need more so would this be a good move???
Old 11-17-2003, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

if you can afford the toro 36"WB then try to get it. you can use the WB on the front yards and the 21" on the back. this will save you alot of time. i'm only 23 and i've been doing this fulltime for roughly 3 years. i went to school and decided to take a break and i love the benefits of lawncare.