Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2003, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Member

new to site and business

Hi guys, great info on here!! I am new to the business and just getting started. I am trying to build up a client base to go full time. I have been doing clean up and mowing jobs, as well as some pruning of small and medium trees. lately however, i have been getting alot of requests to remove stumps, prune trees and some removals. so i enrolled in an aborist program for December to gain some knowledge and experience. Do you think I should stick to tree work or continue trying to build up a maintenance client base. i actually enjoy the maintenance end of the business the best and would to offer those services and leave large design and installations to larger firms. Any ideas or thoughts? thank you! Evan
Old 11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would stay with the lawn service and just do tree work as in incidental part of the overall operation unless you really have the equipment and experience for tree work from former employment. Lawn service provides a cash flow that tends to be more steady. I do storm damage tree clean-up and remove a tree on occasion for a client, but I am very selective in choosing the trees I work on and if it is big or close to the house or outbuilding or fence I let the real tree service guys do the job.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree my neighbor took down trees. He chased jobs all the time and bid low to get the work.

Insurance is thru the roof for the felling of trees.

I would stick with small trim and prune jobs. I too am starting out.
What I plan on doing with a client that wants a tree removed. Referrring a full time tree service.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you should go with what you enjoy the most.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

reply and thanks

That's the thing. I know I do like both. my thoughts after reading your posts are to establish some monthly maintenance clients and save some time for the tree work as a sideline. The reason I asked this is because it seems there is much demand for tree pruning and removal work. That is just the calls im gettting via word of mouth. I do remind them I am availiable to do lawn care and leaf clean ups too. maybe they get cheaper labor. but I really dont like under bidding. I come from 15 years as a union man and scrub work is not somthing im willing to suport.

On a lighter note. I have a Ford F-150 with a 6.5ft bed. How do I build those wooden side racks I see guys with? Evan
Old 11-19-2003, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome legend, just what do you ride?

Myself, I've got to stick to lawn and nearer the ground work. I do a little trimming, but not enough to rig up for it. I'm just don't need to get off the ground that far, no phobia, inner ear problem, and I don't bounce well, tend to break on contact.

If you're capable and enjoy doing tree work, why not do both. Esp till you get too busy with lawns to consider it. Tree and lawn work go together well for some, often folks are willing to put tree work off till lawn work slows. Great way to keep income rolling in.
Just get yourself insured for all aspects of your work.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

for rustic goat

AS far as riding i have an old harley 1976 flh custom and rebuilt from the frame up. And i ride horses weekly as i work part time doint guided trail rides. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-20-2003, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both rides sound very nice, guide work doesn't sound like work, but I'm sure it gets that way.