Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2003, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Pre-emergents & Post-emergents?

Which good product will you recommend as pre-emergent, post-emergent and fertilizer besides Dimension?

"The grass is not always greener in the other side...! Our's is"
Old 11-14-2003, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension, like most pre-emergence herbicides, has limited post- emergence capabilities. It does extend your window of opportunity for crabgrass prevention by a couple of weeks (assuming you are using a high enough rate to get early post control), but once the crab begins to tiller you need to add Drive 75, Acclaim, or MSMA to get good post-emergence control. By adding in Drive you will also nail some broadleaf weeds, but it is not a cheap mix. I have used just about every pre available and prefer Barricade in the early spring and Diminsion after mid to late April. Applying Barricade too late in the Spring can actually diminish seeding results in the early fall. For most spring broadleaf control, Lesco 3-Way or an equivalant gives you alot of bang for the buck.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Pre-emergents & Post-emergents?

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSod
Which good product will you recommend as pre-emergent, post-emergent and fertilizer besides Dimension?
In my area, I use Simazine(fall) and Pendamethlin(Spring) for Preemergent. For Broadleaf weed control I use Trimec 992(3pints/acre) or Trimec Classic. For Grassy weed control/Yellow Nutsedge, I use MSMA(2 qts./acre) and get very good control. A repeat appl. is sometimes necessary but usually that will burns the sh*t out of it. I cant answer the fertilizer part of your question..there are so many out there that are good. I have mine blend at a farm supply store. I only use slow release during the summer months everything else is just ag-grade.

Good luck!