Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2000, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

We got to the shop yesterday morning and found out we had been robbed. They cut the locks on the back door and then cut the locks off of the garage door (from the inside) to push out the walk behinds. Fortunately, the dumbasses unloaded the mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc. off of the trailer. If they would have looked in the truck, they would have seen the keys and could have had a 2000 F-150, a 6 month old trailer and everything else on the truck. <p>Then came stress time. I called my new insurance company and talk to one of the assistants since my agent was out yesterday. We recently switched to a bigger/better policy and I thought that this will be no big deal. The assistant proceeds to inform me that the equipment rider does not kick in until July 15. So here I am realizing I'm getting ready to eat $8,000 to $10,000 in equipment when my assistant gives me the nextel and says one of the guys has sliced up his fingers with the hedge clippers. (We had borrowed the hedge clippers because our two good pairs had been stolen a couple hours earlier.) He was about a mile from the office so I had my assistant jump in my truck and run him to the emergency room while I tried put out all the fires in the office.<p>Around 3:30 my assistant calls me and is taking him home. Fortunately, he had no tendon damage and it only took 7 stiches for the 3 fingers. At 4:00 I talk with my old insurance company and they tell me that I am insured up through July 17th as long as I pay the June premium. At 4:15 the new insurance agent calls me and says the same thing. She had seen my old policy and was saving me money by waiting till July 15 but either a. she never told me this or b. she told me and I forgot about it. <p>Needless to say I learned alot of important information and hopefully others can learn from our day.<p>1. Don't use regular pad locks. They cut through the Master locks with no problem. Use a round lock they sell at storage facilities. You can't squeeze the cutters around the lock.<p>2. Make sure you have a detailed equipment list with product numbers and serial numbers. <p>3. Make sure everything is insured properly.<p>4. On small injury claims of a couple hundred bucks or less consider self insuring so as to not run up your workers comp premiums.<p>5. Train crews on emergency procedures and what to do. (My employee was actually going to keep working had my assistant not come by and taken him to the hospital.) <p>6. Get a dog. The police told me that in 10 years patrolling the area around my shop that they have never had a robbery when the people had a guard dog.<p>7. Don't get a Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Doberman, or Husky. The insurance company will not renew your coverage if they find out. It's interesting that German Shepards are in the same classification as labs. <p>8. Even if you interchange trucks and they are kept in a garage, have a secure place to keep keys.<p>Hopefully we can add to this list so no one has to find out the hard way.