Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2003, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My story of mowing.

Im 29 years old and i got into this field when i was 18, i was looking for something to do part-time while i was in my freshman year in college, i liked being outside and thought this would be a great oppurtunity to earn some extra bucks. I started working for a local company, one saturday we went down to clear out 3 acres of brush and overgrowth and i left with poison ivy for 2 weeks. Needless to say i left and never wanted to see him again. The next January i got my tax forms from him and there was a letter inside asking me to come back and be a crew leader. He stated he saw a lot of potential in me and thought i would be a good worker. I decided to give it another shot. I worked for him for 5 years, 3 other crews plus mine were doing about 500 high end commercial and residential lots. After those 5 years i asked myself why i was doing all the work and he was making all money. Thats when i decided to go into business for myself. Ive been on my own for about 4 years now and enjoy it. I have my ups and downs just like any other company does. But in the end its all worth it. Tough times dont last but tough people do!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats nice. im gonna put my story in here soon my problem is run-on sentenes and grammer ( i mowed 600 acres with a push mower at a dairy in tampa florida in the late 1960s the cows grazed on some of it and there were buildings and barns, but i mowed a lot.)