Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2000, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

What are some advantages of a walk behind verses a ztr? I can't figure it out. This is a serious question. Lets leave the cost out, because we all know the price difference can be made up in no time. Are there some applications where a wb will perform better than a ztr??
Old 06-24-2000, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lower purchase cost, better on hills, takes up less trailer space, more manueverable in tight areas/get through narrower gates, lower maintenance costs, less machine weight (in trailer and on turf)...can't think of anything else right now.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
Old 06-24-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

<br>Lower purchase cost,<br>: Yeh but 4mph does not compare to 8 with rider, less of a profit maker.<br> better on hills: completely dissagree, my 2 walk behinds don't even begin to compare to the toro z masters on sides of hills., takes up less trailer space,: very true. more manueverable in tight areas: not really because of the person operating from behind, even the handlebars get in the way, <br>/get through narrower gates,: this is the only reason I own the 36&quot;<br> lower maintenance costs,: agree I guess. less machine weight (in trailer and on turf) agree----------<p>
Old 06-24-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

no need for a hydro walk behind with the new mini z's avaliable
Old 06-25-2000, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Doug,<p>I thought the same way you do for a long timeuntil we bought a 61&quot; Ferris WB. The thing is simply amazing. It will mow clean at around 7.5 mph and the other 1.5mph is easily made-up when you get in tight places. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to sit down on the job and probably always will but the Ferris has converted my partner to a WBer.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: MLS
Old 06-25-2000, 07:18 AM

How big is the mini Z ?<br>What is the approx cost?
Old 06-25-2000, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

THey are about the same price as a hydro walk-behind. Maybe a little more.<br>The are just like the Zero-turn, but a smaller deck, and little less hp.<br>sch, tor, exmark, and dixie have them
Old 06-25-2000, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

THey are about the same price as a hydro walk-behind. Maybe a little more.<br>The are just like the Zero-turn, but a smaller deck, and little less hp.<br>scag, toro, exmark, and dixie have them
Old 06-25-2000, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last ye4ar i purchased a turf tracer 60&quot; its great its fast its smoothits wonderful. But I could of got an exmark Lazer Z 48&quot; for the same price. I wish i did #1 because its a sit down not a stand up and now i am finding out that standing up for 10 to 14 hours is not cool #2 a because its a litlle faster than a walkbehind and that always helps when on big lits or pawement. Your workers will like it better mine choose the dixie over the exmark because of the sit down thing and i have to fight with them because the exmark cuts better on most grasses. I wish i had a lazer. Dont get me wring the walkbehind is great but not for riding all day. For me comfort is king then versatility.
Old 06-25-2000, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walk-behinds in my opinion are a much better choice than a mini ztr.There just too many pro's to a walk-behind to list!I use to be a Walker nut.I used them on small and large lawns.That is a thing of the past!I will never use a zrt on small yards agian!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care