Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2000, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you (or anyone else) have any specific info on replacing 11hp with a 16 hp. I have an old chain drive walker in the corner of my garage and if replacing engine is economically reasonable I figured it would be a decent backup at least. Thanx in advance for any input
Old 06-24-2000, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi I should be able to help you out!I own an 11hp walker and was looking into doing that.I called the Walker company and they told me that they knew of a company that was doing conversions.They gave me the number to that company.Since I live in canada I was not about to drive to the southern states to have a conversion done.I asked the guy if they had any info on upgrading the engine to 16-18hp kohler.They mailed me a step by step guide on how to replace the engine.That's the good news.Bad news is that I lost the step through guide and the phone number to the company.I'm shure I still have that step through but I will take some time tomorrow to look for it for you!Hope this helps!I will let you know if I can find it!If I can I will email you the step through.If not you can allways call walker and ask about it!Talk to you later!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-24-2000, 06:33 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
If the walker uses a vertical shat motor<br>it should be a matter of removing 4 bolts.<p>Btw 12.5 ohv tecumseh is $370 and<br>a 16 hp ohv is $530. Both have an alternator<br>electric and recoil start.
Old 06-25-2000, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR SPEEDY REPLIES, ADAM IF YOU FING THAT PROSECDURE I'D BE VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING IT. MR. STONE DO YOU KNOW IF AN ELECTRIC START OPTION IS AVAILIBLE FOR EITHER OF THOSE TECUMSEH MOTORS. I KNOW THEY AREN'T THE GREATEST MOTORS, HOWEVER IT'LL ONLY BE A BACK-UP AND HOPEFULLY WON'T SEE MANY HOURS SO ECONOMICALLY ITS THE BETTER WAY TO GO. AGAIN THANX FOR THE INFO.
Old 06-25-2000, 09:30 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I have a new 12.5 OHV tecumseh installed on a<br>44&quot; toro. It runs great and uses very little fuel. It does have an electric starter.<p>The old side valve tecumseh is a completly different engine than the new OHV.
Old 06-26-2000, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allright fireman you got lucky!I actually found that walkthrough!I actually have 2 of them that are identical.The one that made the walk-through is called urban farmer inc.There fax number is 303 781 8859.Ask for a MS Vanguard Conversion.The other sheet I got that was identiacal was from a man at Walker.His name is Ralph Murphy in Englewood,Ca Phone-303-781-8857 Fax-303-781-8859.This should get you just what you where looking for.The guy who does these conversions said that becouse you have to do a little cuttin and welding to get in that larger engine.The frame must be lowered a bit.And as you would know walker frames are already low.I hope this helps.Let me know what you decide to do! <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care