Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Radio Advertising

Spoke with an individual today from a local advertising agency about radio advertising spots.

A 10 Second spot during the traffic report at peak hour times of the day runs around $25.00 per spot.

A 60 Second spot (They create the concept of the ad, do the voice work and product the final product) runs about $25.00 per spot during off peak hours (7pm - 11pm) or approx $100.00 per spot during the peak hours of the day.

I figure I would need to run it enough times to stat generating some frequency (name recognition).

They recommended running for several weeks during the traffic report to generate the frequency then step up into the 60 second spots for the next week or two.

Before I drop $2K on radio advertising I was curious if the dollars are well spent on this kind of shotgun approach.

Has anyone tried this before, and has it payed off?

The only problem I see is that radio doesn't target a specific area of town but rather goes out to everyone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't think it would be very effective. How are people going to remember your name? Are you listed in directory assistance in case they do?

Are you willing to drive anywhere to mow a lawn? If it works, you'll be getting calls from everywhere. I have my doubts about whether it works, though.

Later,
Meier
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Wells,

Here is a post that discussed radio advertising.

Radio Advertising
Old 12-06-2003, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Meier
Are you willing to drive anywhere to mow a lawn? If it works, you'll be getting calls from everywhere.
This is something to consider. It all depends what service you are selling in the ad. I would not do it for mowing, but might do it for some of the extras....aerating, overseeding, cleanups or landscaping.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-24-2003, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

would be hard to run a close ratio sales on radio ads
Old 12-25-2003, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

To follow up on that other thread Gopher pointed to, the advertising I did was rather ineffective. It was a small local AM station, and the audience is mainly older folks. They ran it a ton and I ended up getting 3 times the work I did back in the advertising. I did the spots, 30 seconds each. Went into the studio, etc, and recorded them. Ran them during the football season, during drive time, morning, etc. I heard them and lots of other people heard them. It just didn't produce. And many of the calls I did get, were scattered around the county and there was no way I could answer them or do the work for them.

In the end, it was worth a shot, and I got to record for radio. It wasn't that much of a loss money wise, and I got more than enough from the trade. But I definitely wouldn't pay $$ to do them again.

The roadside signs I had made up worked much better than the radio ads. Got a ton of Aeration calls from them this fall. My advice would be to focus on other advertising means and forget the radio ads.