Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2004, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd NEVER sign that .... landscaping sure I have contracts ... commercial & most resi .... yes .... but in this state an oral contracto or agreement is binding

Also from what I understand the Assault & Battery Exclusion is a two way street .... say one of your employees or even your self is working n someone comes up to you and say's "hey you chipped my car" than takes a bat to ones head ...n this person is a deadbeat with no $$ .... are you covered or not

OR say one of your employees is working n his "new" girlfriends old X comes by n beats the %$^* out of him .... he is on the clock .... who pays for this one??

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would love to have an oral contract with Jenna Jameson! :blush:
Old 01-14-2004, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I believe the "oral contracts" exemption means it won't cover you for something like a failure to perform and the resulting damages. The insurance company wants to know that you're only on the hook for written contracts, so that they don't have to send lawyers out to defend you from spurious claims based on heresay as to what you promised.

It's not as obvious in lawn maintenance and landscaping how that could be a big deal, but sometimes a failure to do something you promise can hurt another badly. A quick example off the top of my head: You orally contract to landscape a home and get it ready for sale for an owner who's trying to unload it. He gets a contract on his house from a buyer, but it's contingent on fixing up the yard which is a mess. The walkthrough day rolls around and you haven't showed up to do the work as promised. The buyer then excercises his right to backout of the purchase contract because the seller hadn't fullfiled the stipulations. The owner could then, theoretically, come back and sue you for his damages such as interest and other carrying costs on the home, and even potentially a lost job if he's moving to another place to work but can't because he can't swing two payments.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

brucec32

Your're scaring the crap out of me. After all it's just lawn cutting!
She was with the Russians, too
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Old 01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good Bruce ... that's more so of what I hoped it meant

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 01-15-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And, for what it's worth - Bruces defines it alot like what I had envisioned that to be....
Old 01-16-2004, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brucec32
No, I believe the "oral contracts" exemption means it won't cover you for something like a failure to perform and the resulting damages. The insurance company wants to know that you're only on the hook for written contracts, so that they don't have to send lawyers out to defend you from spurious claims based on heresay as to what you promised.

It's not as obvious in lawn maintenance and landscaping how that could be a big deal, but sometimes a failure to do something you promise can hurt another badly. A quick example off the top of my head: You orally contract to landscape a home and get it ready for sale for an owner who's trying to unload it. He gets a contract on his house from a buyer, but it's contingent on fixing up the yard which is a mess. The walkthrough day rolls around and you haven't showed up to do the work as promised. The buyer then excercises his right to backout of the purchase contract because the seller hadn't fullfiled the stipulations. The owner could then, theoretically, come back and sue you for his damages such as interest and other carrying costs on the home, and even potentially a lost job if he's moving to another place to work but can't because he can't swing two payments.
That's when you close up shop and re-open under another name, and hope your LLC protects your ass.