Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2004, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Education and South Carolina

Greetings all,

I am researching the possibility of leaving my "corporate America" job and start a landscaping biz. Just to provide some background: I have a college degree in economics, experience running my own business, but no experience in lawn care/landscaping except the work I have done at my own house.

That being said, I would like to get a consensus of the number of people for have some sort of degree in horticulture or some other relevant studies. Is a degree necessary? If not, what sort of formal training, if any, have you completed? Is it necessary? Besides reading whatever I can get my hands on, including all these educational threads, I was thinking about taking a home study course in Landscape design for a couple hundred dollars. Most of the resistance I am receiving from family regarding my desire to do this is that I have now training in it. What sort of follow on training do you conduct?

Also, though I currently live in central VA, I am interested in relocating and starting this biz in the Charleston, SC area. Is there anyone who knows what the market is like down there? Is it more year round maintenance? My father has a property management business that could line me up with some jobs from the start. That is one reason for moving there.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated.