Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2004, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Accounts?

I am just getting ready to start a new buisness with my father-in-law mowing lawns. you has rebuilt tractors and mowers as a hobby for years and now that he is retired he is bored out of his mind and wants to mow lawns. He has already picked out a couple of zero radius mowers with 72 inch decks (think thats right) so he is all gunho.

My job is to get the accounts but I am not quite sure how to go about that. I plan on hitting the large businesses in town and talking with the city governments to see if they do much contracting out. What I need to know is how the typical bid process works. How much do you typically charge per acre, is that how your normally bid, per acre?

I have a feeling this is going to be difficult but I am up to the task, If anyone has some pointers they would be most helpful!
Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start small with residential work. Not to sound harsh, but if you do not know how to bid a job you are not ready to tackle commercial accounts. You need to establish you name in the community then the commercial customers will come to you. Plus you need a business license/applicator license/commercial insurance and workman's comp. insurance to bid commercial jobs. Good luck with your business...do not bite off more than you can handle though.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, makes alot of sense.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Charge enough so that you make the profit you want.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This could be a good opportunity for you because it sounds like your father-in-law has the finances necessary to start a new business.There are 2 questions I would like to ask you.Are you truly interested in landscaping?Do you guys get along?If the answer is no to either question then this will probably not work out,IMHO.If the answer is yes,then this could be a pretty sweet deal.I assume that you are in charge of getting accounts since he's buying the equipment.Sounds fair to me.Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I would think long and hard about becoming partners with a family member. If it does not work out it will be one major headache.

John