Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My Story

Hi everyone, new to the site as of today. It is great btw!!
I thought I would share my story in case there is anyone out there who can relate to it and be encouraged by it.
I worked as a sales rep for a regional lawn and tree application company here in York for 5 years. In Dec. 2001 they announced that they were selling the business. After several months of tense days the sale was finalized and in Jan. 2002 I was out of a job. I took seveal temp jobs to pay the bills and finally decided to start my own lawn care business. I bought a used John Deere f510 a Snapper 21" push mower, a blower, a trimmer, and a 5 x 10 utility trailer (all cash btw) and set off in my Ford Ranger to mow the 6 lawns that I had signed up. This lasted a month before we couldn't meet our bills. I took a full time job and kept mowing part time. Well, that is when things took off I worked full
time in 2002 at a garden center while I grewmy accounts to 14
regular lawns. I made $18,000 mowing, mulching, prunning and just about anything I could do during the daylight. This past year has been great. My wife and I decided that 2003 was the year to
go full time. I had traded in my Deere on an eXMARK lazer z hp 48" in 2002 and was set for a great year in 2003. The business
grew and grew and I ended this year with 49 regular lawns in my route. The 5 x 10 trailer is gone and a new 6'4" x 16' construction trailer is in its place. I still have the 48" exmark and have added a
60" lazer z liquid cooled. I never thought things would grow this fast but hard work and persistence have paid off. We are plowing snow this winter and I can't wait to start cutting grass this spring.
My wife and I just had our second baby and with my oldest boy sitting on my lap with me now I know that from dark times
some of the brightest and best days will be in the future.
I hope that this can encourage someone who is just starting out and remember to fond something you love and you will never have to work again
Old 01-30-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great story WAGS!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

living the anerican dream....
Old 02-06-2004, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Another inspirational story...I love to read these, you can't buy this type of inspiration. Keep swinging...Tony
Old 02-07-2004, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice story...how is that exmark hp treating you? I have pondered that exact mower.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

jaj,

I have been nothing but pleased with the results I get from the hp. I will double cut lawns never have to bag and get great final
results. The best thing is that the profile is smaller than a walk-
behind and will go almost everywhere. The only drawback is that it is a bit unstable on hills, but if the hill is too step from side to
side I will just go up and down on it. I also have the stripper kit which makes the lawn look great and a unit over the discharge
shoot that lets me run with it open or closed so I can trim on both sides, it is worth its weight in gold. There is a company here in York that makes then for the entire exmark line including the walk-behinds. In fact they used my 48 hp as the model. If you would like I can get you the phone number when you are ready.

Good luck and God bless!
Scott