Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2004, 11:40 AM
tjcezar's Avatar
tjcezar tjcezar is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 237
hiring help!!

I want to hire a full time employee and need some help as to what kind of insurance I need, What and how much taxes I need to with hold, and any other info that is important. I want to know what it will cost me to have someone working for at between $8-15 per hour (based on experience).
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:59 PM
J Hisch J Hisch is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Evansville IN
Posts: 952
Carry workman's comp based upon your annual payroll. if you are paying someone 8 dollars figure about 11.50 per hour in actual cost. I would outsource payroll if i were you.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:10 AM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,183

Look for a good CPA that will work with you ,and help you get set up with the proper paper work. He will save you money in the long run with all the little in's and out's and "fine print" that you won't have time to read or understand.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 AM
tiedeman's Avatar
tiedeman tiedeman is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 8,747
have to agree, get a CPA. The workers comp is based on salary. You need to get a federal id number, register for unemployment and state taxes as well if you haven't done so. Make sure, also if you haven't done it yet to get a DBA in the county of your business. You will probably also want to set up a checking account for you can pay employees, etc. The bank will require of you the DBA copy. (I am just stating all the general information in case you haven't done so yet)
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:31 AM
tjcezar's Avatar
tjcezar tjcezar is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 237
thanks for the help. Where do I file for workmans comp and how much is it? Is this something that is payable monthly, quartetrly? Same with unemployment where and how much? I am already set up as a sole prop for the 2 years. How bout an exmple like
$10 + ?%(work comp) + ?%
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Team Gopher's Avatar
Team Gopher Team Gopher is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: -
Posts: 4,043
Hi Tjcezar,

If you don't get an answer here specific to your state, you can visit the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business And Industry web site. They have a lot of information there.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.07297 seconds with 10 queries