Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 02-23-2004, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hints on getting a razor edge?

The blade grinder is awsome, much faster then I imagined!

In the little practice I had, and goofing with the wheel, I have not been able to get a razor edge. Any hints on what I should do to rectify this? I don't know if how straight the blade must be dressed before grinding, or even if this is my problem at all. Any thoughts on blade angles and such would be great.

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

Thank you for the complement.

Ok .. are you sliding the blade back and fourth along the wheel as shown in the instructions, and as the paper blade guide that was attached to the work table?

Please explain "goofing with the wheel" further, just so i can give you the most accurate advice.

The grinding wheel does not need dressing. But if you mean de-burring the underside of the blade - yes that will help you maintain solid contact while sliding the blade on the work table.

By simply grinding back and fourth you should be able to sharpen down to a “razor edge.” Perhaps you just need to sharpen more off to get to the desired edge?

Let me know if you have any other questions or how I can help, or call 800-328-1110 for further explanation.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 02-24-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the response!

By goofing, I ment cranking the wheel up a bit, or down a bit. I have it now very close to touching the table. You maybe correct, these blades may just be out of shape bad enough that it will require longer grinding to get her to the edge.

I have tried to straighten the blades, and also take off the burrs on the underside of them as well.

Does it take some grinding to work a flat spot on the blade to get a good edge on the blade as well?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, how much is it for the extended table? I must have misread the info on the site, thinking that it came with it. I ask because I run almost exclusively highlifts.

Thanks a bunch
Jay
Old 02-24-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Patience is a virtue, and is something I do not possess. I was thinking since it made the blade look great in 30 seconds, it was about as sharp as it could be. I guess my blades were sharpened at a very different angle before, and needed more work to get them into shape. Very nice now.... I am now ready to perform that gall bladder removal on my wife!

Thanks, still would take tips if you have any.

Jay
Old 02-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

As you mentioned, i'm sure the only reason that you did not achieve the edge you desired right away was due to a different angle and having to remove steel to get to the proper angle.

Also when sharpening, don't be afraid to push the blade into the wheel with some force (of course do not try to slow the motor, as that will overload the motor, and can cause damage). You want a nice even stream of sparks (while going back and fourth) and a nice even solid grinding sound. Avoid chattering noises when grinding (they are cause by the blade not being held solid on the work table.)

Here is a link on the optional extended work table.
http://www.magna-matic.com/accessori...8RP/index.html

Keep the questions coming, and if you have time, i'm sure other lawnsite members always appreciate a little review of the sharpener to help them make purchase decisions.

Also keep in mind you can call anytime just to ask questions.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp