Register free!

Old 10-10-2000, 02:02 AM
Millenium Member

I have a customer who has Nelson sprinkler heads that always stick in the "up" position. What should I do to fix them so I don't hit them with the mower?

Ray
Old 10-10-2000, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you check to see if any trash ie sand is not allowing it to drop if their is none... can you change the spring...or the head.
Old 10-10-2000, 12:10 PM
Millenium Member

I could not see anything that would keep them from going back down. The ground is clear and it looks as if they just go up and nothing is helping them go back down. They have a company who services the system but they are tight, tight, tight. They have had a leak for 6 months now and will not have it fixed. Thanks for the reply.

Ray
Old 10-10-2000, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ray, I don't do any irrigation work. Know a good guy that's been in the irrig biz for over 30 yrs, so he gets my problems. Being they are cheap, probably had a cheap installer, who used homeowner grade heads, instead of good heads. The one I had like this, with numerous heads sticking up 3-4 yrs after installation, he fixed by replacing all heads.

He did have me try silicone spray first, but that was only a little help.
Old 10-10-2000, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Nelson heads that are over five years old seem to have a problem with sticking up. Mainly the rotor heads. I just replaced 42 Nelson 5500/6000 heads for a church for this problem. Also, the rotation seems to slow down as well. The problem, according to Nelson, is a faulty stem seal that swells over time, and will not allow the rotor to retract. The elastomer in the top ring is suspect. The course of action? Replace the head, or replace the top ring/seal. The latter does not always work. Hunter PGP or I-20 makes good replacement. If you cant find top ring/seal, let me know. I have a few left.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:47 AM
Millenium Member

3Horn these are Nelson 5500 heads so you are right I'm sure. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-23-2000, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

If you checked the head and there is nothing obstructing it it would probabley be easiest just to replace the head.
Old 11-06-2000, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Nelson

Ray
In the peoples republic of (Raleigh) Nelson heads cost me
$22.00 It takes about 30 minutes to replace them.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ray, Nelson sprinklers are about as cheap a piece of junk as you can get. If the people insist on a similar product get a rainbird. much better made and will last longer. Have a client with 10 acre site that has 426 nelson heads on 7 zones. the system is 20 yrs old and almost all the heads stick up. the guys that mows it is constantly dodging the heads. you should see the striping there! I am trying to talk them into getting rotor heads, less mantenance and better coverage. Every place else that had those heads have long been swapped out, thank God!!