Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Better business bereau

On the phone right now with the bbb. Joke of a sales person they want me to join. Who here has any opinions about them. I dont know really how i can justify joining i have no complaints and i have never had anyone tell me they were going to call the bbb on me. Who here is a member or isnt?

Jason
Old 02-26-2004, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first time they left a message on my phone for me to call them back, I was trying to figure out why someone would call them about me. lol
12x6.5 Open trailer
Exmark TTHP 48" (for sale)
48" Wrigth RH Stander 19hp
Walker 25hp 42" GHS
Honda HRC216
25" Trimmer Mower w/Honda 5.5
Shindaiwa EB-500
Shindaiwa EB-630
RedMax BCZ2400S trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T-230
Shindaiwa T-230/w hedge trimmers

Have you hugged your mower today?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is so great about joining? It probably costs a pretty penny too! I don't know that much about them.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very expensive and from what I have read, don't pack the punch they used to. They call me a couple of time per year. They want something in the neighborhood of $400 to basically be able to use their logo.

The only time I've had someone pull the bbb thing on me was a piece of sh!t that I did some work for then didn't want to pay me the full price we agreed upon. I started to push and he freaked out and, in addition to a bunch of other things, said he was going to call the bbb on me. I told him to go ahead and do it if it would make him feel better. Never heard another word about it.

Even if someone reports you to the bbb, they have to investigate it to make sure it's a valid complaint. If the complaint is valid, then they start a file against that company. But the only time it would become an issue is if someone called the bbb and inquired about your company and when was the last time you've ever heard of someone doing that?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we gave in and joined last year. cost was $895. They do nothing for our business. We havnt increased business because we are a member. Really the only thing they do is jam up our fax machine with crap. Always trying to sell something extra like a radio advertisement that they want big $$$ for and the add goes on for 55 seconds about the BBB then the last 5 seconds mentions your company and phone number.

I admit, it was a moment of weakness on my part when I joined, I plead temperary insanity. We just got a renewal....sent it back with the word CANCEL in big letters.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been a member for the past 2 years! Being a member with them saves me almost $900 per year in Workers Comp. fees. Seems like a deal to me. Getting a group rating on Workers Comp. and saving that much money for $200 yearly fees?
"You'll get MOW for your money & MULCH, MULCH more!"
Old 02-26-2004, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I joined this year. So far, they have done nothing but try to sell me stuff. Oh yeah, here is the best part. If I want to tell anyone that I belong to the BBB, it costs me even more than the $400 membership fee. I think I will stick with the Chamber of Commerce from now on.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380

Last edited by Metro Lawn; 10-03-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, if someone reports you, the bbb sends a letter to explain the situation. By no means must a business respond to the letter if they choose not to. I've dealt with crap companies in the past with lots of complaints, however, they were still endorsed and recommended as satisfactory by the bbb.

I've actually called people at the bbb to explain a situation about the company, and the reps told me that the company is under no obligation to force a company to respond the the claims. I don't see the point in that, nor the reason to join.

Of course, since the businesses pay the bbb, wouldn't you think the bbb would want to keep good relations, to keep recieving the income? I think it's actually a corupt setup.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a waste of time and money to me. They try to solicate me every year. How can they say i am reputable if they are the ones solicating me? I think this is part of why its a waste.