Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2004, 06:55 PM

Help! Kohler is way too loud!

I've got a 12.5 Kohler on my Exmark Metro. I just changed the oil to the Kohler Command oil yesterday and ran it, after searching on here, but there was no difference in the loud ticking. Is there anything else that can be done besides taking the head off and replacing the lifters?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try adding 4 oz of Energy Release to the mix. It is a metal conditioner we run in the race cars that fills the microscopic holes in the metal. Over 6500 RPM it gives us 10 more horsepower. It has been used to quiet air compressors, and tons of other stuff.

www.energyrelease.com
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 PM

I searched the forums and I found that either Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil works. How much Mystery oil should I add to the crankcase and how long should I run it to get it circulated?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I read in Kohlers update book that they have a new push rods they helps eliminate clattering on some engines. They are solid now so the oil pummped through them doesn't move to fast for the lifters to pump up. The part number for the pushrods are 12-411-04-s and can be purchased through your local Kohler dealer. Also, be sure to roll engine so that each valve is open for a few minutes to bleed air out of lifter before starting. You could bend a pushrod if you don't. When you loosen up the rocker-arms to install the pushrods, it allows the lifters to expand and draw in air. Since engine is not running and keeping the lifters pumped up you need to do this before starting. And finally please use a 10W-30 motor oil kohler specifies this.