Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Bidding mulch jobs?

I would be interested in hearing different companies bidding procedures in bidding mulch jobs. That would include cleaning out the landscape beds, pruning plant material, edging beds, etc. If I have two guys and myself for a total of three guys, what would you charge labor wise for an 8 hour job? If I am charging 100 an hour for the labor of three people is that in line? I have been landscaping for awile so I can generally come pretty close to estimating how long a maintenence job will take. Some customers see $800 labor to do their mulch work and think its too much.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't brake your bill down for them and they wont no what your labor cost is just tell them you will get xxxxx for y.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think if you are charging $33.33 per labor hour for mulching that you are way, way too little. come up with a price per cubic yard. around here, the going price by legitimate companies is somewhere between 70-90$/per yard.

btw, the labor hours it takes to prepare and mulch a bed has been discussed here on other threads. it seems that many (including myself) believe that it takes about 1 hour per cubic yard.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

i need to move to MD we get about 50-60 per yard installed .. no edging.. its 35.00 a man hour for that based of the size of the beds amount of sqft.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pruning, edging. mulching. all depends on shrubs. hieght of shrubs, materials carted away, how many guys how much mulch, what kind aof mulch? ect ect pruning I charge 35 per man per hour plus disposal, and mulch installed is $50.00/yard of double ground brn. costs about 12.50 a yard for me.

Chuck

Custom Masonry and Landscape Construction
Old 03-07-2004, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I charge between $70 and $80 a yard and $35 hr for edging.I have to pay $18 a yard plus mark up to $25 a yard I make $50 a yard installed.If its one of my bigger jobs and I have to bring in help I charge $90 a yard.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I had to pick one service where the prices are all over the map, installing mulch is the one. IMO 35/manhour is way too low for cleanups, edging. and mulch installs. But there are allot of people in my area doing it for 35 ....or even less.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Member

$65 per yard installed- discounts over 15 yrds
3 yrd min no matter what.

$35 per man hr. $30 per cubic yard of debris.

Comes to about $0.50 per foot of edging.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

garpa: It is one aspect of the industry that is all over the map. A lot of guys don't even have a set price for yards needed, labor hours to complete the cleanup, etc. I think some guys just charge whatever the market will dictate. If I charge $35 a labor hour, which some say is low; what could some lcos be charging and still be making a profit?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe I'm over the top with my approach to pricing, but here's how I look at it.
For example sake, lets say my company (me and a few grunts), have 4000 hours "for sale" in a given 9 month year.

I want to maximize the revenue from those for-sale-hours.
We are fortunate to now be able to pick and choose our work..wheter its a mulch install, plant install, or mowing, the hourly billable rate is not that much different for all of those tasks. Yes for mowing there is costly equip involved, for mulch, it can be tedious and time consuming, plant installs require a fair amount of experience to plant things the proper way and have them survive.

while there are guys here installing mulch at 35/labor hour, we are not one of them. We are never the low bidder on mulch jobs and likely will never be. Imho, assuming our mulch labor rate is within the range of market prices, I cant justify reducing my billable revenue when we are turning away jobs where there is a higher profit. But, like I said, this assumes that the hourly rates for different jobs are within the range of fees in my area...and they are...just not at the low end of the range