Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2004, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help On Mulch Bid

Okay, I drive by a BP gas station a couple of times a day and the
front mulch bed looks like cr**. I stoped by on Friday and
talked to the attendent and gave him my business card in case the manager or owner wanted the front remulched.

It is 100' wide and 30' deep with the corners rounded. How do I figure out the amount of mulch that I will need?

If i'm correct on my math this should be no more than 27 to 30 cubic yards of mulch. I just wanted to make sure of this and see
what you guys would bid this at to try to land the job.

Thanks for the advise
Old 03-07-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Gilla what a coincidense I bid a job the same exact size(first time on a large job) in the fall I estimated 25 yards dark brown mulch which will cost me 25 per yard then I figured in my time plus 5 or 6 runs for mulch with my 1 ton mulch yard is real close a 10 hour day(I am solo operator) for 1280 dollars plus sales tax have yet to hear from them was told it would be a spring job. I am not sure if I under or over bid but in comparison to my home owner estimates with 4-6 yards 1280 is low I usually get 90-100 dollars per yard any color at 25-30 per yard my cost.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Jack....Gilla,,,, 1st you need to have a lesson in math. Q: How do I figure out how much mulch I need ? A: measure length x width = x( number of sq.footage) and then divide by 150..this will give you the "estimated" amount of mulch @ 2 inches.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Indy thanks I will try that calculation. I was looking for a thicker coverage about 3-4 inchs because there are lots of big Locust tree roots that I want to hide...
Old 03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a little less than 28CY at 3"
36.6CY at 4"

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-09-2004, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

30 yards bought delivered and installed for $2200
Old 03-14-2004, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hi gilla gorilla,

i would estimate 25 yards for that job at 3" deep. i would price it at 2000 and that's with a discount for being over 20 yds.

hi jackman,

how many yards can you get in your 1-ton at a time? sounds like more than i would put in one. also, you can drive your 1-ton to and from the mulch supply yard at least 6 times, get the mulch off and install about 27 yards in one ten hour day all by yourself? you are a better man than i.

for me, i would have to make 9-10 trips if i were using a 1-ton. and i would give myself 3 ten hour days if i were doing it myself. i am honestly just curious about this stuff...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Charlies "3 ten hour days" to spread 25 yards of mulch you need to cut down on your coffee breaks but no seriously I think I could do it in ten -15 hours its just dump and spread at a doctors office the distance from dump truck to wheel barrow to mulch bed is about 25 ft at most and the mulch yard is 15 minutes away and my F-350 1 ton dumper can hold 5 yards maybe six with an extra board. Believe it or not but I am a seasoned veteran at this kind of work have done much of this before just not in this yardage which is why I under estimated the dollar amount oh well live and learn the next big mulch job will have a more accurate estimate....
Old 03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i see, you have a dump truck. still though, 5 yards is pretty heavy. you mulch way faster than i do. then again, i am a numbers guy, my brother is the field guy. but i am competent, i worked in the field for a long time before i became office bound. and being a numbers guy, i count everything. one yard of mulch takes me 1 hour and twenty minutes for bed and edge prep, unload and spread mulch, clean ground, remove debris to trailer.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I hear ya I am more of a field guy (or pack mule) than a numbers guy but I am workin on the numbers part its equaly important as you can see my estimate is a little off on the low side however on the flip side of this is the weekly maintenance which I have been doing at this doctors office for 4 years now and it is my main intrest over the mulch job....