Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Troy-Bilt Repower

I have a 1992 8HP Troy-bilt HORSE tiller. It has a 8hp Kohler Magnum engine. When and if it ever wears out I want to repower with a 10HP HONDA engine. Anyone have any expericence with this? The 10HP HONDA weighs almost exactly the same as the Kohler so the balance of the tiller will remain the same. The only problem is the old Kohler will not wear out. Hope to get lots of ideas from you guys. thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You'll have to do some measuring on the tiller and get the measurements on the Honda. You'll have to look at the mounts on the bottom of the Honda and make sure you have room to drill new ones in the tiller. Also measure from the base to the center of the crankshaft on both engines. Adjustments may need to be made there as well. And of course, the crankshaft diameter and length must jive. If it were me.. when and if the Kohler did so south, I'd just redo it over the winter. Thats a torque monster on that tiller! I'd keep it.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, I have checked in the Northern catalog at the mounting specs on both engines. From what I can tell the crankshaft diameter is the same as well as the length. The mounting bolt patter looks to be the same as well. I think it should be a fairly straightforward switch, but I know they never are. I wanted some input from someone who has done it so they can give me a heads up on what will "bite" me! You are correct the 8HP Kohler magnum is a torque monster, I hardly ever run it wide open, it can till the maximum depth at mid-throttle settings.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 1995 Troy-bilt tiller that had a B&S 8hp. Two years ago that B&S died, 1085 hrs on it. My dealer had a 11hp Honda on the shelf that a costomer failed to pay for, that ended up on my tiller. I also have the pto chipper shredder and having that extra power and torque is what I needed. The mount holes lined up and the shaft was the same. The Honda GX340 is the same a what I have now.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information, I thought the specs indicated that the engine should mount perfectly. Can you tell a difference in how it tills? I would think the Honda will rev higher giving you higher tine speed, is that correct?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Saxman, tilling is the same as when I had the old B&S engine, there is a big difference when I hook up my pto chipper shredder, eats right thru whatever I throw in the chamber. As far as having higher rev, my dealer said the rpm's were the same and the tines don't turn faster. With you having that Kohler Mag on your tiller, that should last forever, those engine's will last and last. Got a long time friend that has a Troy-Bilt tiller with the Mag engine, got his around 1990 - 1993, has a hour meter on it with around 1800 hrs and still is tilling strong. If you go with the honda engine, you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your input. I know the Kohlers are great engines, that is why I got the pro Horse when I did, it makes me sick to see the Horse models now with those lame INTEK B&S engines. I have always been impressed with Honda so that is my plan B. You are right the Kohler will outlast me!!