Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2004, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Refueling Equipment w/ Enclosed Trailer

This spring I have upgraded to a nice 20 foot enclosed trailer. This is my first enclosed trailer. The trailer has 2 small fuel doors on the side.

My question is, you guys with enclosed trailers, how do you refuel your mowing equipment. Do you fill up gas cans, then pour the gas from the gas cans into the mowing equipment (i.e. riders and walk behinds). Or, if the fuel hose reaches, would you refuel directly into the mowing unit while in the enclosed trailer.

Another option would be to actually take the unit off the trailer while at the gas station and refuel directly into the unit. I am trying to figure this out. I have 3 units in my enclosed trailer, and to put all that gas into gas cans then have to pour into the units would be a pain (probably close to 30 gallons).

How do you guys do that?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Lazers and a 48" walk-behind that we just pull out of the enclosed to fuel them up. Takes ten minutes and gives everyone a couple minutes to stretch, grab a soda, or whatever. There isn't a gas station anywhere to be had with the long hoses they had years ago. We have a trap door in the side as well and it would never work.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

no trap door in our trailer. but its a short one (14 ft). most stations have a hose that i can fill up by goin through the side door, then just pull up and let down ramp to fill the mower in the back of trailer. if a short hose, just unload the mowers.

john
Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use a cube van and both of the stations we fill at have long hoses and allow us to fill each unit inside the van. They prefer us to take jugs out and set them on the ground to refuel them because that's their policy. We can usually go most of the day on one tank but use the jugs if we have to.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could always buy a fuel transfer tank. Expensive, but it might be worth it.

If you can't find a station with long hoses (a lot of truck stops have them), you'll probably have to deal with unloaded equipment all of the time. You don't want to have to fill up and pour 6 gas cans everyday

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 03-26-2004, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

We refuel through the fuel doors - Usually can reach all three machines (2Z's +1WB) from the front door. We usually full machines and a couple of spare 5 gallons.

Shayne
Old 03-27-2004, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I only do commercial properties, which usually have a gas station next door. Also, I maintain 2 gas stations, so just fill up when done mowing. Easiest to do it that way.