Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2004, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome Wagon Advertising????

Has anyone advertised with a Welcome Wagon company?I had a lady call me that picked up one of my business cards.She is starting this company and is going to start in April visiting homes where new owners have just bought the home,a baby arrival,etc,. She'll take a gift basket with different local business merchandise to the home.All I have to do is provide merchandise(got it covered),offer a free service(thinking about just a free estimate),and pay her $1.00 per visit at a maximum of 60 visits per month.She has no other lawn or landscape business',so I'd be the only one in the basket providing that service.
I can cancel any time with a 90 day notice.Sounds like a great and fairly cheap way of advertising.Anyone done this and if so,what kind of results did you receive?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. Those new homeowners might not have any lawn care equipment and be in need of your services, hope it works out well for you.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke to one of those welcome wagon ladys a couple of years ago. She showed me samples of coupons that other companies were providing in the "gift basket" in another state. I called a few of them and every one of them was very unhappy with the results. One of them was a landscaper and he said it was a waste of his money and he would never do it again. At the time I spoke to her they wanted me to sign a contract for several months (if I remember correctly).

It sounds like a great idea to me. I don't know why it didn't work out for those guys I called. I backed out when I got the negative feedback.

You may want to ask for referrals.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi NickN,

The concept sounds very interesting especially if you are the only landscaper. If you do try it, let us know how it works for you.

This might be the site of the company.

http://www.welcomewagon.com/
Old 03-24-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Not bad, but you have to call everyone on her list to make it work. Make sure you get numbers. I used WW years ago and was successful, but the program fizzled out up here.
"the right words to help your business succeed"
Old 03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The only thing I don't like about what she told you is the 90 cancellation notice. That could cost you $180 if she makes the full 60 visits each month, and you'd be getting nothing out of it. Not a bad deal if it works though. Personally, I'd rather go into new neighborhoods and inroduce myself personally to new homeowners. Save $$ and probably get at least as good of a response.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I met with the "welcome wagon" lady today.She isn't with "Welcome Waqon".She used to work for them and was their top salesperson in the state.She started her own "welcome wagon " business when the one she was working for stopped doing house calls and instead went with direct mailing.Her prices are 1/3 that of "Welcome Wagon".
Anyway,I signed up.Heck,if it gets a 1 percent return rate it'll be worth it.Another thing I have to do is offer something free.So,I offered a free Liriope to each homeowner.Pretty cheap at wholesale prices.The basket will include my advertising "thingy" and business cards.I'll get a list of the folks who she sends my cards and advertising "thingy" to.That way I get to call them to set up a time for me to deliver the liriope and meet them.(If they don't want the service,I doubt anyone is going to want 1 free liriope plant.)
Thing is,this a perfect oppurtunity to get new customers.They're new in the area and may not know too many people or business'.Instead of looking up someone in the yellow pages,I'm coming to them in a way that let's them know I'm interested in their business and welcoming them to the area at the same time.
I'll let everyone know how it goes a few months down the line.Great thing is,I'll be the only lawn & landscape business she uses,because of the way things are set up.

She gave me a good idea also that I'll share with everyone,She told me one company she has made little matchbooks out of cardstock with their name on it.Instead of it containing matches,there's a piece of candy inside.Pretty clever.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I just did something along the same lines. When i regiestered the biz some guy sent me one of his cards. This guy gets the names and addresses of new home owners. He can send me 30 new names WEEKLY if i want. I can call him whenever i want. I dont have to sign a contract or anything like that. I just tell him the towns i want and he does the research and compiles a list. I am the only lawn care Co that will be getting these names. If another lawn care Co wants names they have to pick other towns untill i am through with thoes towns. Since it's the beggining of the season, what this guy will do is go back a couple of months(the winter months) and give me a list of new home owners up to this past week. I can only do it at this time of year. That what i did, I'm expecting 500 names and addresses on Monday. So i'm hoping for the best. I figuar if i get just 3 people out of this, at worst it'll pay for this and at leats i'll have 3 more customers that i had.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We tried it a few years ago. The problem is that you have to pay for every visit they make. In a University town like ours, there are always lots of new people, moving into rental property. I found that less than 1/3 of the names on the list would even be potentials. After several months, with no calls and substantail bills from them, I tried to quit and had quite a time getting them to cancel.

I think some kind of promotion through realtors would be much better, dealing with home OWNERS.
Doug
Austreim Landscaping
Old 03-28-2004, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i tried it
it was a waste of my money
most new homeowners in my area r young and have no money left after buying the house
the other thing i found was the list they get is often 2 or 3 monthes old and the people have already found someone to service the property