Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2004, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You noticed crabgrass germinating in April? Really? You actually saw the plant in April? I am skeptical.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the ground temperature at 4 inches deep? That will dictate your timing. Also, how many customers you need to get done as to whether or not you should start a little early.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion the radiant heat warms the soil next to the kerb. When its 70% degrees outside it gets crabgrass going real quick with some moisture. ...but hey who am I to say anything.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Radiant heat also near a house will kick the crab in high gear. Also along the roadways, ITS ALIVE ....But that doesn't mean it's germinating and going to seed just because you see it, correct? It just means you better hurry up and get it down so it'll get watered in and build that barrier up so the new seed can't grow? It's a crabgrass preventer not killer(unless dimension,which has alittle post control on younger plants,one two tiller) If your seeing it in april, you should have done a lte season app last year. Some say if you put it down late enough in the year you'll get very early control, then you can not stress so much about having to have it down by end of april. I'm up north, so ground temps been slow to recover. Night time lows still dipping down into low 30's and lucky if day time highs reach fifty for two three days in a row. Thats my take on it although i'd buy turftims book, on how too if he'd write one. He's sounds like he's got a great program. Kudo's to you.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Cant put it down in the fall as I am only talking about a new account.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

New account.....if its bad i would spray it with acclaim when your there applying second app of fert, after early spring pre-m. I would try to put as many newly aquired miss treated(no pun intended)at the top of your list,and make them your first stops when starting your season. As for when to start your season i think depends on how many lawns on your list, I'd strive to have all your lawns done by mid-end of april. Gotta wait til snow is gone and grounds dry,and not too soft. If you get a lot of rain in the spring it might just call for second application of pre-m w/ your second round. Hey Tim, how many weeks does it take for crabgrass to germinate and drop it's seeds? Three weeks? Just wondering about that, thanks.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I do split apps and hit it with trimec plus.
Seems to work ok.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried trimec plus last year, it didn't work very well for me although i was trying mid-late in the year. I'll stick with drive or acclaim.good luck with this year. Hey you ever catch any Marty Grunder seminairs in Ohio, he's out of dayton i think. Now thats one smart cookie when it comes to sales. I'm sure he does ohio trade shows. Oh well, good luck.