Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looking @ the valves (FH500V)

After letting the carb get loose, and running lean (1 side still running lean) I was just wondering how easy it is to get to the valves to have a look. I'm sure it should not be too bad (OHV), but just curious if there is anything to watch out before I do.
Have been wanting to adjust the valves anyway, but haven't yet.
Figure the worst thing that could have happened, would be a burnt exh. valve. Would have looked today, but too much rain (supposed to rain tomm., too.) I'll check the compression tomm., and that will pretty much tell the story.
Figured I would ask, incase some of the resident Kaw. experts see this, and have any advise. (will prob. buy parts at j-thomas, if need be)
Old 03-30-2004, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just did a comp. check on both cylinders. Both over 100 psi. Actually, the cyl. that shows lean has a few more pounds. Interesting.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pull the intake, then the heads off, have a look see. all it will cost ya is a couple gaskets. hardly ever will a used engine have identical compression on every cylinder. Increased numbers could be caused by carbon build up on piston. Or that cyl could be normal on the high side and the other may be normal on the low side. As long as they are with in 10% of each other its cool.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think I figured it out as far as RPMs. The cyl. in question, always let the plug feel like it was getting tight about .5-1 turn before it should have. I never forced it (alum. heads and all.......) but I did tighten the plug dog tight, and started it up, and under load it went right up to 3650. Still looks like it's running leaner than the plug on the other side, though. Still investigating.
Hard to believe that the plug being that little bit "loose" would make it drop 400 rpms, but the only thing I did different. (was just fixing to adjust the rpms........glad I didn't. Guess I need to re-thread that side.