Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy ZTR or use a set of jungle wheels behind the exmark tt hp

Guys, need your imput. I have been looking at buying a ZTR 48inch either a Gravely pm48 or a Bad boy 48, basically the same price. The question is would you save the $6 grand and just buy a sulky, ie jungle wheels for $300 bucks and just use the Exmark 48inch turf tracer hp this summer. How much time would I save using the rider vs the walk behind with sulky. The ZTR would only be used on wide open spaces, and then jump behind the exmark and walk the rest of the properties. thanks, for the help. mark
Old 04-02-2004, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When we started we bought a 48 inch exmark metro hp. In retrospect, we probably would have gone with a 36 in exmark TT or metro hp. Depending on how many clients you have and your ability to pay off a bigger mower, get a ztr. If you need a mower that's going to fit into tight places, get the gravely 34z. It only costs 4,000. Well under the price you paid for that TT and you get to sit down on the gravely.

Todd
Old 04-02-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

i started out last year with an exmark metro 48 and a jungle wheels sulky. i am much faster with my new bad boy. get the bad boy i love mine.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput guys. Would really like to justify the ztr, but we do have a ton of hills in Ski town usa, ie steamboat springs, co, where I have my mowing/plowing business. If I can get one more hotel that I have a bid out on, I might just take the plunge. Anyways, my 16ft tandem axle trailer looks empty with only the exmark, and my little 21inch push. thanks, mark
Old 04-03-2004, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PM me with your client situation and I might be able to give you some better advice

Todd
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you can handle all the work with what you have now, walking behind it, and you are considering a rider of the same size, my opinion is get a Bullrider sulky or Proslide sliding sulky to go behind it, or Jungle Wheels. These will let you use the mower for everything you do now, but faster. Can still walk the tough spots, but can ride a lot of hills too. Much cheaper than two machines. You may still need a Z down the road, but I believe by adding a sulky to what you have, you will easily be able to add a couple more accounts and not be as tired. It will put off the purchase of a Z until next year at least. If you are full time, this may be different but if part time I’d say get a good sulky (BullRider or Proslide) to go behind the mower. A hydro handles a sulky best, and a TTHP will mow at 6mph. How much faster do you really think a 48” ZTR will make you? Then add in that you’d have to take off the TTHP to mow hills anyway. If you need a Z, see if a 60” will fit on your properties then you will notice a big difference over a 48” and sulky. Have a great season!
Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses. I have decided to save up and just go with a set of jungle wheels for this summer, and see how much more time efficient it is overall, then just walking. thanks, mark
Blizzard 810ss plow
BOBCAT 104 inch Snow bucket-HUGE
Ariens 13hp snowblower
18ft skid steer trailer
16 Ft PJ Tandem Trailer
Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48inch
Snapper 21inch push mower
Shindaiwa 630 Backpack blower
Shindaiwa 2500 weedeater
Shindaiwa 230 Weedeater
Redmax 2500 Powerbroom