Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2004, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Old Kohler Problem

I have a old 16HP 1 cylinder Kohler in a Wheel Horse garden tractor. I use this old tractor for snow removal and odd jobs. It takes spells when it will not run above an idle. I have removed the carb and cleaned it out, it seems to run OK for awhile then starts cutting out and will die unless I return the throttle to idle. I have taken the fuel line off the carb and cranked it over to see if the fuel pump works. It does pump some gas but not like a car fuel pump when you perform this test. How much pressure or volume should the pump put out? I am sure the engine is starving for fuel, either the main jet is getting plugged or the fuel pump output is low. Any other ideas?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

It doesnt pump like a car. Not as many cylinders to pump fuel for so a smaller amount of fuel is delivered. If there is ANY dirt in the jets or carb passages it will not run right. The dirt probably came from the fuel tank. Dirt can get into the fuel pump and make it not pump right. You might want to try cleaning out the complete fuel system.