Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2004, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

what to buy?

hi im going to most likely be starting my own buisness soon. i have a couple lawns as it is and i push mow them and the one i use there riding mower.im thinking about buying a nice lawnmower to start out with for like commercial jobs. the only thing is i only have about $2,700 dollars and want something nice that will work good and cover area . any suggestions on what to buy. links are appreciated. thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

name brand walk behind, in the 32"-36" range
hydro vs. gear: hydro if you can swing it
fixed vs. floating: on a deck that small, the fixed would be fine, in my opinion, but the floating deck may be easier to change cutting height.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

i was looking at this to start out with what do you guys think of it. once i get more jobs and get more money i would like to buy a zero turn mower but for now heres what i was looking at.

http://johndeere.com/en_US/ProductCa...20Series&tM=HO
Old 04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm very new to this business as well and just bought a 36" Gravely Pro G with Prosteer last week. Was about $2500, but so far I'm happy with it.

I looked at the Lesco 36" which is also a fine mower. It was a 200-300 cheper BUT it has mechanical height adjustments that require tools. The Gravely has manual height adjustments you can do on the fly. It was well worth the extra money to have the simple height adjustments. That would have cost me extra man hours with the Lesco. If you use the same height most of the time it might work for you. We go from fescue to bermuda here, which requires constant adjustments.

I had a tough bermuda cleanup job yesterday and the Gravely blew through it with no problem.

You guys in the south know what a mess that can be.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont buy that john deere riding tractor. For that kind of money you can get a very good walk behind. I used a craftsman lawn tractor and it sucks compared to my new gravely Ztrn. Buy a commercial mower to mow.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

the thing is i dont really want a walk behind. and i cant afford a 0 turn. but then again ive never used one so i dont know. those gravelys seem really nice 7mph nice.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree that if you are going to buy a mower, go with the best commercial mower you can afford. I started out with a Craftsman riding tractor, and it sucked trying to use it that much. They just aren't made as tough. A good walk-behind with a Velky is the way to go when you are first getting started. The only mower I have is a Husky 36'' with a two-wheeled Velky. I like it because it will go through very small gates. I am looking at getting a Dixie Chopper this year, but I'll NEVER get rid of my Husky. It's never given me a bit of trouble. This is my third year using it and it's never even fouled a spark plug. All I've had to do is change oil and all the filters.