Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

New to site...as it was recommended by a family member that has been in the business close to 10 years. I am taking a hard look at getting rigged up and jumping in soon...

This thread is great...thanks to all of you for the invaluable information...

Notable posts among many to me so far are the spare parts, crossed referenced product information, and the binder w/ all information on dealers, crew, etc. AND the thoughts on underbidders and reputation as trailer leaves the curb...great stuff folks!

Looks to me like efficiency and avoiding downtown one of the main points here...advice to heed for sure!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have some tips for anyone new to the business in the Northeast Florida area- at Tools for a Time, they have a new program called the TurfPAC program that you can sign up for when you buy equipment. As a member of the program, you get your own website, they advertise for you and give you leads, they give you discounts on sod, business cards, t-shirts, uniforms, signage, marketing and everything else you need to run a business. If anyone lives in that area, I would recommend going by there and checking out the program.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Disclaimer to the Webmaster,...this is not an advertisement ...just giving people the opportunity to know about a new program that can benefit ALL of us in the industry.

Turfjustin:
I agree.....this should have been done a long time ago! Those geniuses at Tools for a Time in Jacksonville, Fla. have it together. The TurfPac Program they offer is incredible for anyone in the industry. Leads, discounts on service and parts, cell phones, insurance and on and on. The owners, Jeff and Debbie Youngblood are real marketers and are bringing this industry to a higher level. As a TurfPac member they advertise for you, give you a website, send you leads, etc. However, as a member you must also uphold the standards and goals that all of should be seeking....professionalism, integrity and competitive pricing. In my personal opinion, this program is the greatest thing that has come along in Jacksonville since the Pilgrims landed! Check it out on their website!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

For all you "Newbies" thinking about getting into this business. One of the first things you will find out is that there are a lot more "horses butt's" that got off Noah's Ark than there were horses!
Old 04-17-2004, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys in Jacksonville,

Give me some idea of your hourly rate and how much you charge for cutting. If a yard takes you 30min, 35, 45, 50 min and so on. Do you charge for schrubs separately or include it with your cut. I just want my pricing to be competitive with everyone and I do not want to be knowed as a lowballer or to expensive. Thanks for any replies
Old 04-20-2004, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I Think These are some great tips and I will use them every chance I get
Old 04-22-2004, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a quick review of the hard lessons I have learned. Trust me you don't want to learn the hard way:

1. I know this has been said but don't try to get business by underbidding. It seems like you will make more money but think about it this way:

Mowing for even $5 less means a lot more to you than it does for the customer because if you mow 20 lawns per week for $5 less than you could have charged, that's about a $400 difference for you, but only $20 for the customer, at the end of the month. And if the customer cares more about saving a little money than getting good service, it won't be long before he replaces you.

2. Don't underestimate the challenge of this business. I learned the hard way that you can quickly lose those customers you worked so hard to get, so don't slack off.

Those two lessons have been long hard lessons for me, so I leave them here for the new guy to think about.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As everyone has said !!!!!!!!!!SUNBLOCK!!!!!!!!!! I learned my lesson two years ago when I got a severe second degree sunburn. It was from shoulder to shoulder, a foot down my back contaning about 6-10 blisters. You want to talk about making a grown man cry.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bugspit
Did I miss the one about carrying extra mower blades?

All good stuff here, a lot of smart folks with a lot of experience.

Carrying water?, I freeze gallon milk jugs half full of water, top them off and the're cold all day.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as democrats raising taxes, I will be more than happy to pay my share today versus, getting $65.00 dollars a year that Bush gives me and leave billions of dollars in a hole, and my children and grand children are born in a hole to pay back. You tell me what is $65.00 dollars is to me? Nothing..Nada...He claims I could have a down payment on the washer and dryer and that is all, a down payment not a whole price. Yet Bush and his administration could spend billions of dollars ($200 billion if not more) for Iraq ($250 billion on Afganistan) for his own OIL FIELDS and for Chaney to grow his personal companies, and for his administration interest. Bush and his administration is really poor, so what the poor folks of the U.S. of America have to say. We are the poor ones and we continue to pay the high cost of Republicans.