Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge Step Bumpers, over-rated?

Well basically, I swaped axles and leaf on my trailer and ended up lowering the trailer 4 inches. I have a 91' Dodge Ram 250 with a step bumper. Well the bumper says 5,000 gtw and 500 max tongue weight. However because the trailer is lower now, I had to buy a bolt on trailer hitch, but because it has a step bumper, the trailer hitches wont work on it. I had to buy a step bumper hitch that bolts on to the existing holes in the bumper with a drop hitch reciever. The trailer I pull with that truck is about 3500 to 4000 pounds loaded, so the bumper you think could easily do it. The hitch reciever is rated a class V and so is the step bumper hitch. Well I bolt it all up and hook up the trailer and guess what, the damn step of the step bumper is separating from the bumper and it wiggles with the trailer on it. So now im welding the bumper just about everywhere it can possible come apart and creating supports inside it. Plus the safety chains are supposed to hook onto the step bumper hitch, but if the how step on the bumper comes off it doesnt matter how many saftey chains you have. Kinda scary. Just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem either with a dodge or another make of truck?
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com
Old 04-14-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO step bumpers are not the way to go with towing. They are OK for lighter trailers, but you end up bashing up your license plate when you hook up. Bolting a drop receiver to your bumper will drastically reduce the bumper's towing capacity because of the leverage the hitch puts on the bumper. You're way better off just putting a good bolt on receiver hitch on your truck. You can get one for around $100. Then you won't have to worry about it, the hitch will handle anything that your truck will.