Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

starting my own company

k so im starting my own company so far we are calling it lawn raiders (we meaning me and my 2 friends). It's going to be a rough start since my smartest move probably would be to ditch the 2 of them since for now i won't be getting many customers but thats getting off topic. What i need to decide is where to put my money i have a low key budget (and by low key i really mean low key i feal like such an amateur) of about 2000 so far im thinking of getting a lawn boy. We already have 1 lawn mower a friend said he is getting from his grandfather that is brand new but with the way i see it that lawn mower isn't going to last a month. so with that 2 grand i need to spend some money on advertisements which im probably try to put 3 flyers on 1 paper and deliver the flyers 5 days a week 2 hours a day in between each person so 6 hours a day in total if it was 1 person. I also need money for a trimmer thats of high importance, of course a new mower and hopefully soon after that a few other things like a blower and so on. It's going to be a rough start i know i told my friends the way i see it they are working in a non profit organization for the time being and i told them if we put in a lot of hard work i will have them getting up to 10 bucks an hour and they are excited about that. I am very sorry about the bad grammar and spelling errors but any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say they won't be your friends very long.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

go at by yourself. Don't involve friends. Also go door to door and sell your service that will save on your advertisement costs.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

i know the friends thing is trouble i know that but im not going to say no we are in this together but how much cheaper can u get than with 3 flyers on 1 sheet of paper plus you can cover more area
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to not think about "cheap" as far as advertising. You may be able to cover 3 times as many houses with more flyers, but what you have to realize, is how many people are going to reply to those flyers you put out?
I'd rather get 10 calls from 1,000 flyers, than 8 from 3,000 flyers!
Not only will you be spending more time passing them out, but they may not include the image and details your customers would like to have. I'd say spend a little more money on the flyers, and make them look nice.
I'd went the extra mile on mine, and it paid off. I have had many customers say they called us first, just based on the "look" of our advertising. Of course then you have to close the deal, and deliver the goods, but it opened the door.

Also, a note, when you design your flyer, post it on here, and people will help you improve on it, to give you the best shot as you go out.

$2,000 is plenty to start out very small. Don't be in a hurry to make millions, because it just won't happen. You have to learn it will take time, and a LOT of hard work. You'll soon find out if this is really what you want to do.

Good luck with the business!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go with an echo trimmer they work great. Work hard due a good quality job and 1 last thing do it by yourself friends and business don't mix
Old 04-20-2004, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

i know im going to make the flyer look nice but when i mean cheap i mean it is it is just paper how much can paper and a whole lot of ink cost? thats what i mean by cheap and btw thank you for the help so far
Old 04-21-2004, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just a suggestion... .when i put my fiers out last year and the year before i didn't get any calls. This year, i added my logo into it and made the paper green, and i had 15 calls allready out of 75 fliers. Another thing i did was paperclip my business card to the flyer. That works too. Good Luck!
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was