Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2004, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grade is 2" Lower than Driveway

I'm a solo newbie and just got first client in a well-off neighborhood with a beautiful new 300k construction -- move-in was last fall. They would like the edge of the drive to look like a 1950 flat-top haircut meeting a scalp, but the grade is 1.5 to 2" under the concrete surface. I tried blending it in by lowering the deck on one side of a push mower (low deck side on the drive), but the result isn't that great. They don't want to cut it out, build up under, and resod. I'm thinking of offering to bring 600 lbs. of topsoil at every mowing (extra charge of course) to slowly rake it into the centipede, maybe an eighth of an inch at a time, and build up the grade even with the drive -- sort of feather it in so it eventually mows and edges real easy -- and makes the customer happy (hopefully). It is level enough, about 1" drop in 4 ft., that runoff shouldn't be a problem (IMO, but I don't know for sure). Has anyone come across this problem, and does this possible solution make any sense? I also am considering dropping out and working for another LCO the rest of this season, because this is no way as easy as people who haven't done it much (like me) think it is. It's the stuff you don't know that kills ya (for me, lots I don't know). Please help. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

IMO it will take a while to feather it out doing it on a weekly basis. I would talk to the home owner and highly recommend just putting in the top soil in one shot, seeding it and in a few weeks (with regular watering) the grass will be coming in nice and you'll be able to mow that are in no time. I had a customer with the same situation but on the sidewalk and was able to talk them into doing what I mentioned above.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to add: It's a good idea to work for another LCO since you will be able to get more experience than starting out on your own and trying to learn from your misteaks and possible lose a customer from them.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks SOS. Your solution is far better. My guess is that the customer bought so much house that they could only afford a wham bam initial landscaping job; a situation where only so many hours could be put in for the limited money. Lots of valleys and peaks in the yard were left before sodding. The wife is now very particular however.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It takes money to be particular. It sounds like you might be the pawn to put up with and fix all the landscape problems that they did not want to pay for up front. You know you customer better than I but they could be a PITA. Watch you profit on all you do for this account.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the warning PMLAWN. They are young, not much over thirty, very well educated by the parchment farm (university, nothing wrong with that, but it has limits). Think they are just figuring out that the landscape job was a bit sub-standard. Looks like some of the carpentry on the 2nd story exterior stairs on the back of the house barely passed code too. What really gets me is hoses all over, no undergound system. Have to give them credit for watering though.