Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-23-2004, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

So New I'm not even working yet

I've been checking out this site for acouple of days now and I've already learned tons. I figured it was time to register and tell my story. So here's my story:

Currently I'm in the USMC, but I'm getting out in July to go to school full time. I've got some GI bill money coming in to pay the bills, but I know it's not going to be enough to live.

I've been mowing lawns for the past 4 years here in South Carolina. Mostly, I do it for free for wives of people who are deployed overseas, and I use whatever equipment is in their garage. I started adding up how much money I COULD have been making if I had charged... man it doesn't pay to be a nice guy sometimes.

I'll probably get a part-time job to make sure I got some cash while starting my business on the side. I don't know what kind of equipment to buy yet, but I'm lookin' around the forums and getting some ideas. If anyone has some advice, feel free.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well Dan,
first of all let me thank you for being in the USMC, from myself and my family. We appreciate all you soldiers do to give us our freedom. Start small, and work up as you can. Feel free to PM me and I'll get more info to you, gotta run right now.
Good luck though!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Dan,
I'm just starting myself!! this website is awesome!! It has really shed some light as far as potentials go!! I'm definately starting small!!(not spending a whole lotta $$) but a little for advertising and such!! My equip. is basic--38" rider, push mower, trimmer, trimmer w/edger attach, and looking for a bargain on a basic blower!! as you grow you'll be able to expand your equip.!!just let it flow!! It's a great time of the year to start small and grow!! GOOD LUCK
Old 04-23-2004, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Wanna hear about starting small? I'm gonna buy 1 push mower and a trimmer. I'll buy a blower when it's in season and a rider when I'm sick of pushing. Of course I plan to expand in the 4 or 5 years I have there, and I'd like to get into some landscaping, but I don't know if I'll have the time to do it enough for it to be profitable. I put in a retaining wall for one of my buddies down here, and it took a lot of work and a lot of time (I charged for that one). Of course inexperience and lack of equipment was probably a big factor on that one.

Twins... with humility, you're welcome.

Dan
Old 04-24-2004, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto Twins on the thank you.
While your are doing your adding don't forget about the cost of the mower-gas-trimmer-gas-maintenance on YOUR equipment-storage for YOUR equipment-insurance-taxes-truck to move the stuff-trailer to carry the stuff. Yes you can make money but you also have to spend money. Not trying to talk you out of it, just bring sure that you know going in that it is a business and there are costs of doing business.

What are you going to school for? If it is the green industry than you are on the right path, If not maybe get a part time job in that field. School full time-homework and the study to make school pay off-sleep-and maybe a date or two,--and running\working a business on the side is a lot to do. Don't cut school short trying to work. It sounds like you are still young, there is plenty of time to start you business. Good luck in your decision and if you make the jump start small and think PROFIT in all your buying decisions.