Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2001, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

? for spindle bearing replacement pros

I'm replacing worn out spindle bearings for the first time ever. After removing all the spring clips I'm having trouble getting the spindle shaft out. (This is on a Ferris wb.) Should I try to drive the shaft out the bottom? Out the top? Then what? I guess that would leave the two bearings and a spacer to try to get out somehow without scoring the races. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I'm trying to do it myself rather than suffer the down time and expense of leaving it at the shop.)
Old 06-27-2001, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I not familar with Ferris mowers, however most spindle bearings and shafts have to be pressed out with a press. You might be able to use a heavy rubber mallet or a hand sledge with a piece of wood to protect the shaft.
After removing the retaining rings, place the spindle in a vise and drive the shaft out which ever way is best(check a repair manual). One bearing will come out with the shaft usually. Then remove the other bearing from the spindle housing and the bearing from the shaft. If there is spacers between the bearings these need to be replaced also, the bearings and spacers come as a matched set most of the time. During assembly you will need to check a repair manual for the proper preload of the bearings, otherwise you will be wasting your time. With improper preload the bearing will not last long. If the bearing are just held in by retaining clip and are ball bearings, not cone and cup bearing then there will be not preload.
Good luck.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 06-27-2001, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I replced the spindle bearings in my Woods (a Ferris clone at the time)CM-36 one time. They had to be pressed out and pressed back in.

Old 06-29-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with your particular spindle but most spindles need to have the shafts pressed out with a shop press. The rubber/wood mallet thing will work in a pinch though - but it's about 10x more difficult/time consuming. Good Luck
Old 07-02-2001, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I beat on the shaft with a plastic hammer for a while before taking the whole thing to the mower shop, which replaced the bearings for $10 labor. Yes, a press was needed. Also, the bearing that remained on the shaft was VERY tough to get off. The shop mechanic was ready to replace the shaft when the bearing finally let go. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have replaced spindle bearings many times and this can be done without a press. You just need solid work surface (metal workbench), a vice, and a BIG hammer. There are 4 retaining clips that must be removed (2 inner and 2 outer). After the clips are removed start beating the bolt shaft from the bottom through the bearings. Be careful not to mushroom this shaft. After the shaft is out you can then beat the bearings out. I found that using old sockets slightly smaller than the diameter of shaft and bearing works great to beat them out. Tip: Before putting the new bearings in, put them in the freezer for a couple hours. This will cause the bearing to shrink ever so slightly making istallation a breeze. You can also put the shaft in the freezer and then install it when the bearings are back to room temp. Metal expands and contracts according to the temp.

However, a press does make this job easier. But you gotta make due with what you have!