Register free!

Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

PG vs Z-Spray

I am looking for feedback on companies that have used both PG's and the Z-Spray systems. Please compare and contrast the 2. It seems from all the posts that the PG is used far more fequently, but not that reliable. My main concern is the accessibility with the z-spray, will you have to be collapsing the booms all athe time to avoid phyto to non-target areas? I am going to Ind. soon to demo and research both. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 PG's (1 Ultra, I Centri) and the large Z-Spray, and as I have explained in previous post there is no comparison. The Z is in a different class than the PG's. The PG's have been around longer, are cheaper, and are well marketed so you will see more post on them. If you like them I've got 2 that I'll sell cheap. As far as the booms on the Z-Spray, they can be shut off with the turn of a valve, edging is easier than with the PG's and the 50 ft. hose will reach behind or under any tight spots. If you go and demo both you will be coming home with the Z.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

it's lick comparing a rolls-royce to a match box car{or a chevy] i have the Z-sprays and love them. quality is a second to nun and great tech support. we use our machines, not work on them
Old 04-27-2004, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cemars
I have 2 PG's (1 Ultra, I Centri) and the large Z-Spray, and as I have explained in previous post there is no comparison. The Z is in a different class than the PG's. The PG's have been around longer, are cheaper, and are well marketed so you will see more post on them. If you like them I've got 2 that I'll sell cheap. As far as the booms on the Z-Spray, they can be shut off with the turn of a valve, edging is easier than with the PG's and the 50 ft. hose will reach behind or under any tight spots. If you go and demo both you will be coming home with the Z.
How much for the PG? I pm you also.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wait till the new Jimmie spray comes out
Old 04-28-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jimmie spray?
Is that the machine you are working on James?

David
Old 04-28-2004, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dman, I know you know how I feel, we discussed it enough.

But I would add this.

Both machines have the place and their advantanges over the other, I think it really comes down to how the company stands behind their product. Kinda like our business , we all can apply fert, spray weeds and we all have nice lawns we take care of , but what makes some companys special is how they treat their customers.

My experince with pg is not the best, their product has some flaws, and when its brought to their attention they seem to want to always blame the customer for the problems first.

I am so sick of hearing Pat say , " you guys just dont clean these things enough" or " we dont make the starter motor, its not our fault it doesnt work" or " if it stalls when it rains , then dont use it when its raining" or " Your the only one I ve ever heard of with that problem " only to find dozens online with the same problem.

Now I cant comment on Tom Rich from zspray, cause Ive never done business with him, but Ive never read anything in hear that sounds bad.

Discory, For the past few winters ive come up with some ideas of improving this machine, ( PG ) and may come up with a desgin someday to bring to a invester, who knows
Old 04-29-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom Rich is a stand up guy. He called me 2 weeks after I got my unit just to see how it was going. I wonder if I will ever have the customer service savvy that he does or the time to follow through. Plus like you have all said, the machine is a tank. I would be curious to know how a company that owns a C&S Turf Tracker and a Z-spray think those 2 compare.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I have two PG's (Centri and Ultra). I agree that it always seems to be your fault when the machine doesn't work. My ultra had 4 hrs on it when the agitator came off. They sent me a new clip and charged me for it. They stated it must not have been seated right. The next one came off I ended up drilling it. All I know is that PG business philosphy has change over the years. I live close enought that I can travel to the shop. Since they moved to the new place they won't hardly see you anymore. I got into it with Pat one time and Tom did little to him. If I talked that way to my customers I wouldn't be doing many lawns. Going to test drive the z-spray soon. I hoping for better results. At least maybe something won't be the operators fault.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody should send this thread to the guys at PG