Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2004, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

chemically aided transition

I am treating some tifway 419 baseball fields overseeded with ryegrass. Has anyone tried TranXit or similar chemistry to hasten transition to warm-season bermuda? I doubt it is cost-effective for school facilities,but ryegrass is really dragging down the bermuda greenup.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: chemically aided transition

Quote:
Originally posted by greenerpastures
I am treating some tifway 419 baseball fields overseeded with ryegrass. Has anyone tried TranXit or similar chemistry to hasten transition to warm-season bermuda? I doubt it is cost-effective for school facilities,but ryegrass is really dragging down the bermuda greenup.
greenerpastures

Have you ever tried 34-0-0 Ammonium Nitrate or 13.75-0-46 Potassium Nitrate to green up 419 quickly?

Both are quick release and have high salt index so burn potential is high unless applied at lower rates and watered in. They should be sprayed to get proper rates. 1/3 to 1/2 of a pound should green it up.

419 likes lots of potassium and about 8 pounds of nitrogen per year per thousand. I would recommend at least three time as much potassium as nitrogen on a heavy used playing field. I also would apply 8-10-10 Shrub fertilizer once a year just before your rainy season.

Top Choice insecticide with Fipronil is a must in my area for 419 and all variety of Bermuda. Check your local Mole Cricket predicted hatch date for application dates. It should be coming up in the next month or so. Mole Cricket control, it is important to get the nymphs, the adults are hard or impossible to control.

419 is as easy as any hybrid Bermuda gets. But all bermuda hybrids are high maintenance turf. Football fields are the hardest to keep because of the hard play they receive.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric for info---and I have a few more questions for you.

I just took over these fields last fall and have been trying to make them decent on a very inadequate budget. Couple the ryegrass with a broken irrigation system and the fields look like crap. Finally got 2" rain yesterday and irrigation on-line again.

Tx A&M has recently suggested N only for our north Tx clays based on years of testing and partially due to the politically correct enviros (reduced phosphate pollution).----I am having a hard time accepting it myself. My soil tests came back with N only recommendation also as I suspected they would. The grower who installed turf is sort of old school, but uses nothing but 17-17-17 on 419. Chemical supplier suggested a water soluable product containing some potassium nitrate. -- similar to a commercial miracle gro type product in addition to my base fertilizer program.

How much are you having to dilute the nh4no3 to prevent burn? Mole crickets are not a big problem here--not yet anyway, what is there typical damage to 419? Have you used a fipronil product other than Top Choice, --preferrably liquid?

I cautioned these folks about 419 maintenance requirements before installation, but they wanted the pro-look. And you know how the story goes from there.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a believer in lots of water. However that makes me a fertigator not a foliar fertilizer. Because of the high burn potential I would recommend no less than 3 gallon per thousand I use 5 gallons per thousand with the hot stuff like 1/2 lb per K nh4no3(Ammonium Nitrate). Now if you have a good base of organic of slow release Nitrogen which you say you don't 1/8 lb NH4NO3 per/K could be put down at 35 gallons per acre with no trouble and give you the jump start you need.

As far as athletic fields and budgets go I have been there and done that as a jester of good will at the local high school. I received a big Thank you in the football program with my company name spelled wrong and no phone number. This only cost me $ 1,500 and 40 some hours. Now I will try and find the killer weed formula that A buddy gave me for 419 and post it for you. I do not do a lot of 419 only the football field, and I quit doing that for free after the great advertisement and Politics. By the way I had the field greener than it had ever been, unfortunately so were the power to be.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your situation is why so many hate the process of overseeding Bermuda. Was it overseeded with annual or perennial rye?

Perennial is a real pain to transition with cultural practices, especially if the Spring has been a bit cool.

I would be intrerested to know the results if you choose to use a chemical.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use Bayer Revolver, runs about $44.00 per acre to treat. One to two applications should not only cleanout the ryegrass you will also control Goosegrass and a variety of broadleafs.

Apply Ammoniumn Sulfate to support your growth and color.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks,

The ryegrass is a perennial type, --I think (coaches dumped out a few bags of "something with ryegrass on it" was the reponse I got). They used about half as much as necessary to compound the problem and it is now clumpy. ---- I do not like overseeds!

I do intend to try some revolver on my own place after doing some reading on the product.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I used some revolver in mid november of 2003 and then again in late february of this year on mainly rescuegrass coming up in our bermuda. This was our only weed that started coming up as early as early november even after we applied simazine the third week of sept. of 2003. The results were as follows - A little dieback on the rescue but mainly just worked as a growth regulator. It basically was not killed off and then it started to grow pretty good again in february. After applying revolver again in february we regulated growth again with some dieback and when the bermuda started to come out of dormany in march property was looking good and was back to looking clean. We applied revolver at the heavy rate each time which was slightly less than a quart of product per acre rate.