Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR is such a good deal, should I get it?

I own a part time grass cutting business, and am currently considering upgrading my equipment.

I have been debating purchasing a new 36" walk behind for ~$2300, but I recently found a used Great Dane ZTR. He wants $3500 for the mower and $700 for a 6'x12' trailor.

Do you all think I should get the ZTR and trailor for $4200 or go with the new 36" walk behind for $2300?

Bare in mind that I cut grass only part time, and will not be able to expand my business more than what I can cut from 4:00 to dark on weekdays and all day on weekends.

What would you all do if you were me? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try and compare how much time you will save by buying the ZTR over the WB, and then consider your future plans. If you can mow the areas you have to do on nights and weekends faster with the ZTR, and it will make up the difference in price, then I'd say go for it. It may help you expand into larger areas you can cover then. On the other hand, if you have no intentions of expanding, and want to simply keep what you are doing, maybe teh extra $2000 is best kept in your pocket?

Just something to think about, hope it helps. You have to be the judge on the final decision, as to where you want your company to go.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with twins. I think first is......what are your future plans for your business? Do you NOT want to expand, maybe fulltime at some point if it bears fruit so to say? What are the size of your accounts now? Would a ZTR allow you to take on more jobs since you will be able to cut more efficiently?

As for the W/B, have you looked at the Quick36? $1995 and its getting good reviews thus far. I dont have any experience with it personally, but sounds like its a decent machine from what I've read.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

That deal must be at the JD dealer on Hermitage Road. Right?
'03 TRAC VAC
'02 JD TRIMMER W/ATTACHMENTS
'02 TORO 21" W/BAGGER
'04 PB 603
'04 HC 150
'04 PAS 260 w/hedge attch.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

you're right, Wingnut!

You're absolutely right! Are you considering getting that particular mower? I'm still debating it.

Do you think it's a pretty good deal? I figured that I could resell it if it turns out that I don't like it.

Do you think I could get the money back out of it?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not looking at it but I talk to Tom Rochelle a lot. I purchased a 36" JD wb from him. The only thing I can say about this dealer is THEIR SERVICE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I'd like to seriously consider purchasing this mower, but I've got either a tranny problem or transfer case problem on my truck right now, so until I get it fixed, I'm sitting on my cash for now. If Tom tells you its a good deal, it is. I think they are selling it on consignment and he may be able to come down a little, but you have to talk to him about it. For service, talk to Tad, he's great.
'03 TRAC VAC
'02 TORO 21" W/BAGGER
'04 PB 603
'04 HC 150
Old 05-20-2004, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Wingnut,
Do you have your own lawn care company? Which area of Richmond do you work in?

I havn't actually talked to Tom, but I have talked to the owner of the mower.

So, if you were me, would you get it? Do you think I could resell it if I don't end up getting extra grass cutting jobs?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You are a couple of steps ahead of me if you have talked to the owner of the mower. I work in the southside of Richmond/Chesterfield Co. and a little in the west end around University of Richmond. I have a 36", but I have found that if I had a ZTR, I could go a whole lot faster and my legs wouldn't be as sore. I have a sulky on my wb, but with no true reverse (belt driven) I think the ZTR would be less labor intensive. As always, if you don't like it, you can sell it. The Fall market may not bring as much as it would in the Spring, but you should be able to unload it for close to what you paid. If not, trade it in on something you can use.
'03 TRAC VAC
'02 TORO 21" W/BAGGER
'04 PB 603
'04 HC 150
Old 05-21-2004, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Good advise......I think I'll get it.

Wingnut...I do most of my work in the far southside - the Chester, Colonial Heights area. I don't know how big your business is, but if you are looking to sub-contract out some yards or are looking for some help down this way, please let me know.

The only problem is that I'm going to have to buy the trailor, too! He wants at least $700 for a 6'x12' trailor. Since I don't have one at all, it looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and buy it. I guess it's a reasonable price. What do you think?

take care!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Check with Northern Tool on their prices. What size tire does the trailer have? Does it have trimmer racks, ect? All that stuff adds up. Plus, whatever you spend, that goes against your gross income. Check with an accountant. They can help a lot. Good luck!!!!
'03 TRAC VAC
'02 TORO 21" W/BAGGER
'04 PB 603
'04 HC 150